Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My clutch cable got broke so I've installed a new one. All looks good and I set it as said in original manual, but now bike stalls instantly if I pull the clutch. I thought maybe it's a side-stand sensor, but this happens even on neutral. There is no bad sound from clutch - it just stops, like when spark is gone.

Please, show me some directions which I need to check. I don't want to do full electrics test, at least now :smile2:

·
Premium Member
7,011 Posts
Clutch switch under the hand lever mount? Mis-adjusted or broken or lost a part.
The clutch switch, neutral light and side stand switches are all connected.

Search for safety switch bypass procedures. Or fix what ya' did wrong.

Reactions: 90Tengai

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Check the safety switch logic on the wiring diagram (KLR650, but pretty close):

https://www.thumpertalk.com/uploads/monthly_04_2013/post-353859-0-59159600-1367338910.jpg

If I understand you correctly, the engine dies when you squeeze the clutch lever; the opposite is usually the case--engine dies when clutch lever is released.

Sounds like whatever malfunction exists grounds the stator exciter coil voltage to the CDI (igniter), electrically the kill mechanism for both stop switch and ignition switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for such a slow reply, guys. The problem actually was the clutch switch. It's badly documented and I found zero information about it in my original '84 Kawasaki manual. Switch itself is located on a bottom of the clutch handle. I just opened it, unscrewing 2 bolts, cleaned it a bit with WD40 and assembled back. Then bike started without any trouble. I hope it will help someone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts