Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen a lot of shitty/mixed reviews of diagrams for the CVK40 - does anyone have experience with any aftermarket options? I was hoping EM would have some in his shop but alas, none available. Really don't want to spend $11 to have it fail in 2 days, but I also don't want to spend $50 for a part that's the same as an $11 part.

I'm not paying $200 for one from partzilla if I can avoid it.

Bike is from 1997 and pretty much nothing has been done to it for at least 15 years - that's when the tires were last replaced.

PN 43028-1062.

Picture for your troubles.

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,430 Posts
For that kind of stuff I wouldn’t be giving much thought to an aftermarket part. Sounds like you may have the original part in a 25 year old bike. Amortized over 25 years that part is pretty reasonable buying OEM.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For that kind of stuff I wouldn’t be giving much thought to an aftermarket part. Sounds like you may have the original part in a 25 year old bike. Amortized over 25 years that part is pretty reasonable buying OEM.
True, but I have no idea what the difference in quality is between the OEM part at $180, the aftermarket part at $50, and the aftermarket part at $11.

Plus isn't a whole new carb like $100?

·
Administrator
4,430 Posts

·
Administrator
4,430 Posts
Reactions: Hellreaver

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
11,089 Posts
The Genuine Harley Davidson Sportster slide assembly will be a Genuine Keihin part!

The Bikers Choice / Twin Power part# 482841 'TP Keihin Membrane Seal' is a stretch on replacement rubber only.

Ebay & Amazon slides would probably be made with cheap chineseum rubber.

A very thin coat of Hip-wader or waterbed repair glue on both sides of a pin-hole would be more likely to actually adhere permanently than any kind of tape.

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,405 Posts
To PDW’s suggestion, let me add, there is a neoprene glue used to seal wetsuits that remains very pliable when dry. A small drop on either side of the hole should seal it up and not adversely affect diaphragm flexibility. Dive shops sell it, or buy it online.

·
Premium Member
2018 KLR650
349 Posts
The Harley carby slide is defiantly less expensive. From memory, I think the Harley slide cost me about 1/3 of what the Kawasaki one cost. (In Australia) The carby housings are not the same, but the slides are.

I did have a look at some of the ebay ones. Beware, some of the pictures seem to show a different looking slide than the genuine CVK slide. Some of the ebay slides appear to be flat on the bottom. The genuine part is not flat on the the bottom. The bottom is curved, so it matches the shape of the inside of the carby.

The difference in appearance could just be because of camera angle, but, I wouldn't buy one.

·
Premium Member
2002 gen 1 street-ized commuter special
62 Posts
bear in mind any sealer applied to diaphram should be fuel resistant just sayin Seal-all might be another good one

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Genuine Harley Davidson Sportster slide assembly will be a Genuine Keihin part!

The Bikers Choice / Twin Power part# 482841 'TP Keihin Membrane Seal' is a stretch on replacement rubber only.

Ebay & Amazon slides would probably be made with cheap chineseum rubber.

A very thin coat of Hip-wader or waterbed repair glue on both sides of a pin-hole would be more likely to actually adhere permanently than any kind of tape.
$10, damn. I'll try it, thanks.

Edit: Spoke too soon, cheapest shipping is $12....

·
Registered
101 Posts
To PDW’s suggestion, let me add, there is a neoprene glue used to seal wetsuits that remains very pliable when dry. A small drop on either side of the hole should seal it up and not adversely affect diaphragm flexibility. Dive shops sell it, or buy it online.
For both of their suggestions are correct.
The product your looking for is called (E6000) and can be found at most legit hardware stores. It comes in clear or black. I keep a tube of it in my tool kit.
Bottle Sleeve Automotive tire Automotive exterior Font

Don't forget to wipe the rubber with alcohol to remove any oil residue first.

Best wishes

·
Premium Member
11,089 Posts
$10, damn. I'll try it, thanks.

Edit: Spoke too soon, cheapest shipping is $12....
Order it thru any local dealership (HD, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha or even an independent) which purchases from Tucker / Bikers Choice, on their next regular order.
They will get Free Shipping & so should you.

Even my small independent shop orders from Tucker at-least weekly and get free shipping on regular ground transport.
3-4 days to the middle of WY, unless UPS or Fed Ex mis-directs a package.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts