Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not sure if this is the right forum for this but, I believe I’ve read some where recently about lost keys. I don’t know how to post links but I can post a picture ;-)
You want them, they have them. Set of two for (1987 - 2014) KLR’s for a measly $7.50 shipping included.

Dick

8BAEF6DE-B063-4276-BB44-BAEB7744BDEC.png

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just bought one. Took it to Lowes and the lady couldn't operate the machine with it because the computerized machine didn't have a code for the blank. I asked her to just mirror the blank, but quickly realized she was going to trash it. Took it to a real lock shop and the kid said it would be $10 to cut it unless they had the blank. He finally looked for a blank and said theirs would be $5. He then shrugged and cut mine for $5! There are 3 more there. I'm not telling anyone.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
I just bought one. Took it to Lowes and the lady couldn't operate the machine with it because the computerized machine didn't have a code for the blank. I asked her to just mirror the blank, but quickly realized she was going to trash it. Took it to a real lock shop and the kid said it would be $10 to cut it unless they had the blank. He finally looked for a blank and said theirs would be $5. He then shrugged and cut mine for $5! There are 3 more there. I'm not telling anyone.
Well, you could purchase your own Key Cutting Machine and try to recoup your investment.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
That eBay ad says 1987-2014. Are the keys really different after '14? I had a hard time finding a locksmith with the right blanks myself. I put the original aside and had new ones cut, and it took a couple tries for the smith to get the depth right because they were working from a slightly different blank. So I would like to have some spare blanks on hand…

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
That eBay ad says 1987-2014. Are the keys really different after '14? I had a hard time finding a locksmith with the right blanks myself. I put the original aside and had new ones cut, and it took a couple tries for the smith to get the depth right because they were working from a slightly different blank. So I would like to have some spare blanks on hand…
BigCee (originator of the, "All You Ever Wanted To Know About KLR 650s But Were Afraid To Ask" website says:

Can I use a different key blank for the ignition?
If you don't want to shell out the big bucks for a Kawasaki factory key blank, here are some alternatives that should work. Of the keys listed below, the Silca KW14 and KW14R are the only truly correct ones. It would probably be best to take the whole list to your key shop, and let them pick the one that will work the best. NOTE: The KLR comes with both right- and left-hand keys (the direction of the offset in the cross-section). So, not every blank will work.

SILCA KW14, KW14RCurtis YM-58 (Yamaha?)Ford 5-cut primary blank
ILCO KA15 X106ILCO YH38 X77ILCO X120 YH46
Taylor X90, X91Curtis SU-9 (Suzuki)

Keep in mind, two configurations exist for each blank source, as mentioned above.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I take it this means they're the same for all years, d?
My bet, yes! No confirming research data nor corroborating personal experience, but . . . don't know of any general changes to KLR650 key blank configuration. Corrections welcomed, and . . . I'd still expect TWO separate key blank profiles, applicable depending upon respective ignition and helmet lock construction.

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys, if you can enlarge that picture you’ll see the blanks are marked KW14 and KW14R. So I’m thinking these are the genuine article.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My eBay blank came from a seller Bartolete. No marks or codes. He had the two styles (mine was "A"). $8.99
It works. Hung the original on a nail. Probably should have had two made.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Samuel, I ordered the ones in the picture marked KW14 and KW14R, so between BlueRibbon, you and myself we’ve got the keys covered.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
lol ok. I only ordered the other ones to save 50¢ and to have a black 'handle' on them.

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
Neener neener.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm starting this post with a big smile on my face, just so you all know. I DON'T want to be a thread killer, but if you guys don't mind me being blunt I'd like to take the liberty. 😊 Of course, the moderator is more than welcome to delete this post should he/she feel the need. If you don't like my post you can always look the other way. Well, for better or for worse.

Sell some of that stuff you have in the garage that you know will NEVER get used to that neighbor kid who keeps asking to barrow. Mow the neighbor's yard for $ and tell him/her you don't plan on making a habit of it. Forgo Starbucks for a couple days (there's a reason "Bucks" is in their name and your the "Star" for giving them yours). Moreover, take lunch to work for a few days and you can mooooore then afford to purchase a key blank from your Kawasaki Dealer. It even has a big "K" and "Kawasaki" written on the top just like the OEM model. Go ahead and use a portion of your Economic Stimulus Package fund if you wish. You guys need to get your priorities aligned. A decision made over should I purchase this, or that, in order to save 50 cents? Not sure what this is all about. Has the coronavirus pandemic effected you gray matter?

If you knew me, or subjectively know me through my posts here, you would know I'm an advocate for supporting your Kawasaki Dealership. Now, more then ever these dealerships need your help to remain a viable business. Businesses are closing at an alarming rate these days and I choose to help my local businesses remain a vital part of our community. Yes, yes I've heard it from you guys "My dealership sucks and they charge me too much for my parts". "The kid behind the parts counter doesn't know s**t from apple butter". If you don't like that kid politely ask to speak to the parts manager, better yet ask for the parts manager up front that way you don't offend anyone from the get go. The day all the motorcycle dealerships are gone and you have to purchase you motorcycle online and all your parts from Ebay will be a very sad day indeed. To haggle over 50 cents in order to purchase something as simple as a key blank. I thought I was cheap. You've made my day knowing I'm not the cheapest person on this planet.

I'm headin' to a Honda, yes a Honda, motorcycle dealership today to order and purchase some parts for my newly acquired Transalp. Could I order the parts from some concern on the Internet? Sure, but why would I want to do that when I can jump on my KLR open the face shield on my helmet, smell someone's freshly mowed lawn, give the hand drop wave to the passing motorcyclist as he flies past me in the opposite direction or peer at the cows out in the field with their nose stuck to the ground. I just might stop at a great restaurant in a small town way out of my way for the best breakfast burrito I can remember having. To loose these opportunities because someone needs to save 50 cents - well what more needs to be said.

Inevitably, there are those here who will say "Boy, you most be rich in order to purchase your parts from a dealership!" Man, if you only knew how wrong you would be by making that statement. Well, I need to get going the garage doors are open and I need to get out of my PJs and put on some riding gear so I can go for a ride to my Honda Dealership. Sorry, all that over a key blank I should be ashamed of myself.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Well . . . at least, one might have the key CUT at a Kawasaki dealership!

Surely, the cost of the key-cutting machine must be amortized.

:giggle:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Cliff's Yamaha gone. Ken's Cycles (Kawasaki) gone. Honda House sells as many lawn mowers as bikes.... That was a fine manifesto, but I think the beginning of the end is here! Shopping locally, buying American, building relationships are worthy ideals, but evolving consumerism, competition and business models are rapidly sucking the wind out of those. I once loved grinding through junk yards for parts and I've never bought new clothes! Now all these things and more show up in the mailbox. You thread-killer, you!

*Couldn't help noticing a 1989 Transalp that showed up in one of the local Craigslists! Probably start seeing those things everywhere!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts