Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just bought myself a 2013 (2012 built) klr650, I'm picking it up this Thursday. I have a slight problem identifying what model it is for insurance purposes and was wondering if the forums could perhaps help me out. (I have searched and cannot find anything).

Insurance companies are asking if its an ECF or an EDF bike. I'm guessing one is a LAMS approved category? The bike is still at the previous owners place until Thursday but I wanted to get insurance sorted before I pick it up obviously. He can't seem to find anything on the bike itself indicating what model it is. Is there anywhere in particular I would be looking for this info?

Thanks in advance!

Brett

·
Registered
527 Posts
I would think they could get all the information they need with the VIN. ECF may mean California model but I am not sure.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Since there are no additional safety features like ABS, Traction Control, etc on KLR's I am not really sure what difference it would make for safety rating or value.

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
This forum is practically dead

I beg to differ. The question was posted in the Aussy section. The nomenclature is not familiar to me in Canada so I couldn't help. Likely same situation for most of the folks who frequent here.

·
Registered
232 Posts
from what i understand, this is the trim code, with the second letter designating the model year. Not really any actual "trim" options with the KLR :58:

2011 is an EBF
2012 is an ECF
2013 is an EDF
2014 is an EEF

HTH

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was also asked when doing my insurance for a 2009 KLR.
Mine is an E9F, the 9 donating that it is a 2009 model. I'm assuming that when they reached double digit years, they changed to letters as described by a4twenty above

1 - 7 of 7 Posts