Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 KLR650

I've had my KLR for about 4 years now and I can never seem to get the oil level right.

If I go by my Clymer manual it specifies 2.6 quarts WITH a filter, but if I put in 2.6 the level seems too high using the sight glass.

If I go more by just using the sight glass I am worried I have TOO LITTLE oil in the bike and the reading using the sight glass varies widely no matter how hard I try to get it right.

I've never had such a difficult time getting the oil level right in any other bike and I worry about having too much or too little oil in my KLR650.

I'm tempted to go purely by the book spec and forget the sight glass.

So please give me some suggestions of getting the oil level right in my KLR650.

Go purely by the book and not the sight glass?

Thanks in advance.

Rick, near San Antonio Texas (La Vernia)

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
If you go by the proper amount specified in the manual with an oil and filter change, your level will be almost at the very top of the sight glass. Sometimes you will see a tiny bubble of air at the very top, but the level should be right at the top of the glass. I pretty much ignore the add/fill lines on the glass and just try to keep the oil right at the top. I don't believe I've ever let my oil get lower than the middle of the glass before topping.

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips.

What I did this time was go by the book and add 2.6 quarts.

I also found a post that suggested to use a 2 x 4 under the kickstand to bring the bike to almost perfect vertical.

After filling the bike with 2.6 quarts, putting a 2.4 under the kickstand and letting it sit for a while the level was right at the top mark in the sight glass.

IN THE PAST when I put in what the book called for it seemed that the level was too high in the sight glass. So I'd take some out and then it seemed too low in the sight glass. It seems like if you move the bike a little trying to get to vertical the level in the sight glass can vary a lot as you try to get it level. Maybe I was worrying too much about nothing.

As far as how low it was it was at or below the lower mark; how much I don't know exactly. At points it was at the low mark or lower. When I drained the oil out this time I measured how much came out, so I'd have an idea how much was in there. It measured 2 quarts.

Anyway I think I have it good to go now. Thanks for the suggestions. Rick

·
Registered
368 Posts
I separate "adding" from "checking". It takes a little time for the oil to run off the clutch, etc., and raise the oil level anyway.

I pull the bike upright and lean it on my hip while I bend over and look at the sight glass. I feel for the place where the bike is putting nearly zero pressure on my hip and zero pressure on my hand (on the left side of the seat). That means the bike is almost perfectly vertical no matter what the terrain.

I look for a spot that's level front-to-back, and make sure front wheel is centered since the contact patch moves left/right when steering.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Rick Thompson, if you fill with oil and change the filter, the level may go down a bit if you run the engine to fill the oil filter cavity. Of course, you must wait for the oil to drain down for an accurate reading.

Oil visible in the sight glass with the bike level indicates a safe situation, IMHO. Only if the oil depletes to a level where oil pressure cannot be maintained does immediate danger lurk, AFAIK.

What is the current level of oil on your automobile's crankcase dipstick? :)

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
I thought I would find a link to the "Easy Oil Checker" or "E Z oil checker", from klr650.net. I thought it was made and sold by Kuri77.

It was a neat little aluminum bracket with a mirror attached, bolted to the RH engine cover, fairly protected by the skid plate and crash bars. It allowed one to sit on the bike, find vertical balance point, and check the oil at a glance. I think he was selling them for <$20.00. I even thought about purchase of one, when it was first introduced.

I guess that I am just too impatient to use search function successfully.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
As others have said, the oil level isn't critical. The rough difference in oil level makes no difference at all. Unless the sump oil is down to something like 1/2 liter, they seem to survive and unless it is radically over full, the oil isn't high enough to cause foaming problems.

Paul Westman related that there will be several ounces of oil in the crankshaft oil gallery which will either remain or pour out into the sump, depending on where the crankshaft stops. That makes for some difference in observed oil level. As much as it pains to admit, he is right. ;-)

I should warn you that the link to How Much Oil is a trap because there are so many posts there that an interested reader can be lost for all time. :)

Perhaps someone has tried but I doubt the KLR would cook the cam bearings unless the oil were foamed to the degree where it would be coming out the breather, so almost any amount of accidental over filling should not harm anything.

Just keep it above the bottom of the sight glass, as others have said, and not too far over the top as seen by tipping the bike. It makes no difference to the oiling system whether the oil is just above the pickup tube level or quite over full.

On the other hand, you can do what someone on a web group did after someone discovered the discrepancy between the oil level glass and published quantity. On a road trip...not making this up as this is what he posted...he carried a large graduated cylinder and drain pan. After every fill up, to give the oil time to settle, he drained the oil and measured to insure that he had exactly the published quantity of oil in the engine. Face palm time? :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
. . . It was a neat little aluminum bracket with a mirror attached, bolted to the RH engine cover,
A friend on a Hayabusa keeps an inspection mirror in the tank bag. At the start of any day he unfolds it to look at the oil level.

I suppose a plain mirror would work if your arms are long enough.

(We frequently ride odd pairs.)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Checking oil

I just stand on right side of bike, pull it upright until I feel it is balanced, and shine a flashlight on the window. From a standing position, I can read the level quite nicely. No fuss!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Oil Level

I have an EZ oil checker and I love it. Little mirror makes it easy to keep oil level right. Easier is better Rebar James :mexican wave:

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
I have an EZ oil checker and I love it. Little mirror makes it easy to keep oil level right. Easier is better Rebar James :mexican wave:
I'm more than just a little 'perturbed', I've scanned 12 pages of possible "EZ oil checker" Threads/postings from klr650.net, and I can NOT find the link to IT!

I saw it a few weeks ago.
rebar, can you find it and post it?
I've liked the looks/quality of it since I first viewed it! I'll endorse it, from postings which I read a year or three ago!!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
If you're having trouble locating them, perhaps you are not reflecting properly.[

QUOTE=pdwestman;421305]I'm more than just a little 'perturbed', I've scanned 12 pages of possible "EZ oil checker" Threads/postings from klr650.net, and I can NOT find the link to IT!

I saw it a few weeks ago.
rebar, can you find it and post it?
I've liked the looks/quality of it since I first viewed it! I'll endorse it, from postings which I read a year or three ago!![/QUOTE]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts