Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

KLR650 petcock

4K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  DPelletier 
#1 ·
Can someone give me the part number for the non vac, petcock. I would like to change the one I have for my 2016 item. Thanks in advanace.

#5 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Hi Mike!

Yes, I've been using that petcock for about 7 years now. I had it on my '08 on a stock tank and now on my '09 on the IMS10.

They work well, but yo have to get used to the smaller reserve and learn not to count on reserve getting you very far.

Tom

#8 ·
Anyone ever EXTEND the reserve tube on a Yamaha Raptor petcock?

I recall a procedure for converting the stock KLR petcock to manual-only operation, wherein the originator of the mod insisted on SHORTENING the OEM standpipe on the mistaken impression such action would elevate fuel pressure (it won't; static fuel pressure is determined by the vertical elevation of the level of the fuel in the tank above the carburetor only). The only effect of shortening the standpipe was reduction in reserve fuel volume.

The action apparently was based upon a second faulty premise, that static fuel pressure increase somehow increased performance. The static fuel pressure merely replenishes the float bowl content; fuel ingestion rate is determined separately by venturi vacuum (pressure differential) and effective jet orifice area . . .

Modifications indicating the pervasiveness of Internet tribal knowledge with respect to the KLR650 . . .

#9 ·
Anyone ever EXTEND the reserve tube on a Yamaha Raptor petcock? . . .
Yes.

MacG did a beautiful job of extending the reserve pipe for me on a Raptor petcock.

Tom

#10 ·
1) ditto on the Raptor unit; but BEWARE of cheap knockoff's on Ebay and elsewhere. Use only a REAL Yamaha unit. Available from Eaglemike or Yamaha (and perhaps elsewhere)

2) I share Tom and others' distaste of the factory vacuum unit; like him I've had many bikes (this last one is #39) and the vast majority have had manual petcocks. The stock Vacuum petcock is in the top 5 failures on a stock KLR (scientifically proven by me! ;-) )

3) I've heard of people swapping "straws" between the KLR and Raptor petcocks but I haven't done it....some said it was impossible to do without crushing the straw others claim to have done it...personally, I don't care about the smaller reserve, especially with my translucent IMS tank: I can tell how much gas I have left from 20' away!

4) several years of University physics tells me Damocles is correct.....though he doesn't need my validation on this! LOL

Cheers,
Dave

#11 ·
1) ditto on the Raptor unit; but BEWARE of cheap knockoff's on Ebay and elsewhere. Use only a REAL Yamaha unit...
Good point! I edited my post to include a link to a known Yamaha part.

Tom

#13 · (Edited)
If you 'average' the seated bike/rider into a geometric shape I think it resolves into a elliptic cone.

What you're saying is that the taller a cone is the higher its center of gravity is, given that the two cones have the same mass.

Gasp! This cannot be! Everyone knows that the mass of the rider settles in his boots!

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.