Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday! i'm trying to decide on which bike is going to be best for a long haul trip from Oz to the UK,it's a toss up between these two as these are the only bikes that are affordable to me.Which has the stronger subframe,is poorer grade fuel going to cause problems blah,blah,blah-Lets go!-:23a:

·
Registered
507 Posts
My first response would be that no matter what grade of fuel you may be able to get, the KLR will hold allot more of it. This means fewer stops and better off road range considering that the fuel will fire well enough to get you off road.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Well in, Ard. The big gas tank was one of THE deciding factors for me.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
hands down the KLR is a better long distance travel bike than the DRZ.
1. As mentioned fuel capacity. With an IMS tank I carry 7 gallons and go over 300 miles per tank.
2. Modifications. Many more long distance mods can be applied to the KLR than DRZ
3. Rear rack size
4. Seat comfort

Biggest issue for a long trip like Oz to the UK will be having a place to exchange rear tires. The 17" tire can be a bitch to find in remote areas even here in the US. Might have to research a place that carries them or that you can mail them to and be picked up.
I guess the year of KLR might make a diffrence too. The 07 and earlier KLR will obviously have less plastic to break if you go down. But engine parts should be relativly universal. I traveled with a friend who rode his 06' KLR to 7,000 miles out west and home with no problems, just did one oil change in Colorado before heading home.
Have a great trip and be sure to keep us informed on your process of decision making as to route and what you take.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
My brother and I made a trip from Kentucky to Key West Florida, I was on a KLR and he was on a DR, neither bike had any problems. We did have to stop too much for gas with the DR. I wouldn't make the ride on the DR, but I am 7 years older than he is.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Gday! i'm trying to decide on which bike is going to be best for a long haul trip from Oz to the UK,it's a toss up between these two as these are the only bikes that are affordable to me.Which has the stronger subframe,is poorer grade fuel going to cause problems blah,blah,blah-Lets go!-:23a:

KLR all the way. Get the doohickey sorted with bits from Eagle Mike...and while your there get his subframe bolt ($5) that will sort out the subframe weakness.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Either bike would be good.
The KLR a bit better for comfort load carrying and runs well on crappy fuel.
The DR has a great reputation also.
Depends on which one you can get a better deal on.
In the USA there are lot's of deal on KLR's. The DR650's tend to be more expensive.
Get a clean used KLR, make sure the doohickey was replaced, the valves checked, subframe bolts upgraded, grease the swingarm, and you're good to go 20,000 miles.
All you'll need along the way are tyres(the KLR tyres are a common size and fairly cheap), Brake pads, change the oil and filter a few times along the way, and you'll probably have to change sprockets and the chain at some point.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Grab some food, kick back and do a google search for "dr650 vs klr650". Prepare to read all about the subject for quite awhile. There are many people who have owned both and have given lots of great information. On this forum, KLR rules which is why we own them. It's not the right bike for everything or everyone though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yamaha XT600E

If I were shopping for bike in Oz I'd also keep an eye out for the XT600E. These are great bikes maybe even better than the KLR650 or the DR650SE.
They were never sold in the USA. A lot of them in Oz. Can't get a new one but still a great bike.

·
Registered
63 Posts
But to ask a dumb question, or maybe not too dumb....where you going to make land from departing mainland Oz...what route you planning.....as I assume the countries and terrain you will be traveling through will surely also be a desiding factor with tyres etc, etc, also securing luggage and here i meen secure as in not getting stuff stolen, or losing a tie down into the rear wheel and that sort of stuff.....
The longest single trip I have done in one trip is 90% dirt road 4500km from Cape Town in South Africa to Windhoek in Namibia and back to Cape Town, this was a 10 day trip and almost used up the tread on a new TKC 80...suggest you test packing weights and strongly recomend rear suspension upgrade to a heavier spring and upgraded piston and seals, also advise some protection of the shock from stones coming off the back wheel.

Enjoy the trip no matter what.

·
Registered
19 Posts
While it's not exactly this trip, the suspension bolt being mentioned is my question. Has this been upgraded in the '08+ version or did that problem in the up to '07's continue. I've got a new '09 and want to know if it's an item that should be replaced. I gues the same would apply to the doohicky...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts