Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2010 with 500 miles on it. When i accelerate above 60 the bike seems to wiggle in the handlebars. Seems very unsafe. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Start simple. Tire pressure would be the first thing to check. Check fasteners. KLR is notorious for loose nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
There are many things that can cause a speed wobble, but most don't happen to bikes with only 500 miles on them?? In addition to the items mentioned by KLR4evr maybe check the steering head bearings (lift the bike) and wiggle the forks, maybe check the front tire for any distortions?
Not on the KLR but, I have had too much gear on the back of a bike that induced a speed wobble, once the air started lifting the front fairing??
Like I say, odd for a bike with only 500 miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are many things that can cause a speed wobble, but most don't happen to bikes with only 500 miles on them?? In addition to the items mentioned by KLR4evr maybe check the steering head bearings (lift the bike) and wiggle the forks, maybe check the front tire for any distortions?
Not on the KLR but, I have had too much gear on the back of a bike that induced a speed wobble, once the air started lifting the front fairing??
Like I say, odd for a bike with only 500 miles.
I weigh 250. So maybe the rear shock set on the softest setting is doing it acting like it has to much load. The salesman said he lowered the bike for me by "adjusting" the suspension. I have a 30" inseam so bike is hard for me to balance on tip toes. I set rear shock to 5 now instead of 1. I dont see a way to adjust fronts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I weigh 250. So maybe the rear shock set on the softest setting is doing it acting like it has to much load. The salesman said he lowered the bike for me by "adjusting" the suspension. I have a 30" inseam so bike is hard for me to balance on tip toes. I set rear shock to 5 now instead of 1. I dont see a way to adjust fronts.
The club is growing, I'm 6' with a 30" inseam too! All seats are too high, all windshields are too low!:banghead:
I don't know if this applies but, when I first bought the KLR (I had been riding a Buell) I did notice the front seemed a bit twitchy. I have a Gen 1 so this might not apply, but I believe the big front fender and the paddle sized handguards were really getting pushed around in the wind. I was assured that this was normal and I did get used to it. The only time I notice now is when I ride someone elses bike.
Sorry I can't be of more help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The club is growing, I'm 6' with a 30" inseam too! All seats are too high, all windshields are too low!:banghead:
I don't know if this applies but, when I first bought the KLR (I had been riding a Buell) I did notice the front seemed a bit twitchy. I have a Gen 1 so this might not apply, but I believe the big front fender and the paddle sized handguards were really getting pushed around in the wind. I was assured that this was normal and I did get used to it. The only time I notice now is when I ride someone elses bike.
Sorry I can't be of more help!
Thats a big help if its normal lol. I just washed bike and noticed the tires have dry rot splits all the way around both tires on the sidewalls. I bet this bike sat for 2 years and the tires are flat spoted. No way this bike passed MSI with tire rot. Do these tires have tubes?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thats a big help if its normal lol. I just washed bike and noticed the tires have dry rot splits all the way around both tires on the sidewalls. I bet this bike sat for 2 years and the tires are flat spoted. No way this bike passed MSI with tire rot. Do these tires have tubes?
Mine do, I would assume yours does as well, but there is 5 years and 1 generation difference between us!

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Hi Ohsplat!
If the tires have splits it is time to get new ones ASAp. If the casing is rotten it can blowout unexpectedly.
As a note nearly all rims with spokes have tubes with a VERY few exceptions. KLRs all have tubes from the factory. A few guys have converted theirs to tubeless with mixes results.

As to adjusting the suspension. The front forks can be slid up in the triple clamps to lower the front of the bike. This also makes the fork angle act more upright, quickening the steering and making it more unstable at speed. If the top of the front forks is protruding above the triple clamp much I would adjust them back down.

I am 230 and have the rear set to 5 with the front forks level with the top of the triple clamp. Even with a full load of camping gear on I haven't had any issue with high speed wobble.

I would really get on that tire thing right away. Shinko 244s are a good all round dualsport tire and can be had for under a hundred dollars a pair.

Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Ohsplat!
If the tires have splits it is time to get new ones ASAp. If the casing is rotten it can blowout unexpectedly.
As a note nearly all rims with spokes have tubes with a VERY few exceptions. KLRs all have tubes from the factory. A few guys have converted theirs to tubeless with mixes results.

As to adjusting the suspension. The front forks can be slid up in the triple clamps to lower the front of the bike. This also makes the fork angle act more upright, quickening the steering and making it more unstable at speed. If the top of the front forks is protruding above the triple clamp much I would adjust them back down.

I am 230 and have the rear set to 5 with the front forks level with the top of the triple clamp. Even with a full load of camping gear on I haven't had any issue with high speed wobble.

I would really get on that tire thing right away. Shinko 244s are a good all round dualsport tire and can be had for under a hundred dollars a pair.

Regards....justjeff
Since i just purchased it from a dealer its their responsibility to replace the tires. I just got it 2 weeks ago. I guess its up to what they have on hand. If they dont replace them im taking it to the state police to show them the shoddy inspection job that was done.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Since i just purchased it from a dealer its their responsibility to replace the tires. I just got it 2 weeks ago. I guess its up to what they have on hand. If they dont replace them im taking it to the state police to show them the shoddy inspection job that was done.
Ahhh! Didn't realize THEY did the inspection. I thought the bad tires were found during the inspection....my bad. It would seem to be their responsibility to find and correct the high speed wobble too. I would be worried that the tires have a casing separation which you are feeling in the bars. Does it feel like the jiggling sensation you feel in the steering wheel of an out of balance front tire on a car?

Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ahhh! Didn't realize THEY did the inspection. I thought the bad tires were found during the inspection....my bad. It would seem to be their responsibility to find and correct the high speed wobble too. I would be worried that the tires have a casing separation which you are feeling in the bars. Does it feel like the jiggling sensation you feel in the steering wheel of an out of balance front tire on a car?

Regards....justjeff
If you were to quickly rock bars back and forth at speed thats how it feelz. Man i was doing 90 on this thing to! Im pissed!

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
If you were to quickly rock bars back and forth at speed thats how it feelz. Man i was doing 90 on this thing to! Im pissed!
I know the feeling. Bike I just bought had the main handlebar mount hole in the top triple clamp stripped our by the previous owner. He just bolted it together and called it good. I found it when I removed the bars to reposition them. Have to phone dealer on that tomorrow.
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
232 Posts
the wobble is likely caused by the un-aerodynamic front sail (fender) and large hand guards. removing the hand guards will help some but offer less protection in the brush and more aerodynamic fenders options are out there.

·
Registered
387 Posts
When I bought my 2004, with 12000 miles, it had a disconcerting low speed weave and a tendency to drift at high speed. I did the following things to resolve the steering issues:
1. tire pressure to 32psi
2. Adjust steering bearings (they were to tight)
3. Align rear wheel
4. replace front tire
Of the four, the steering bearings and replacing the front tire had the most effect.
(bike has stock front fender and no hand guards)

ymmv as your bike has 500 miles vs mine at 12000.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I would advise you to correct this problem before any highway riding.
IMO: your bike is unbalanced front &back. Put more in front less in back. Have suspension fit your weight.DO NOT run an aggressive knobby faster than 50mph,if you need more speed switch to a 50/50 tire.
They don't call this the death wobble for nothing.

·
Registered
689 Posts
WADR: a fork brace will help, but it is hardly"end of problem". What tires are on the bike? a4twenty's advice is probably the best advice(except for my own :). I took a varibit and drilled four holes in the front fender to let air pass through> reduce "lift". I know two guys that were injured very badly( high end accidents) from this exact problem, so please do whatever it takes to fix it!
Good luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts