Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i found a sweet KLRoad this week:

Lots of miles of crazy twisties up to camp, from there it's about 12 more miles of dirt. I wore the sides of my boots down on this road, they touch before my pegs do.

Anybody else run 366? It's off 191 south of Safford. Fun stuff, and i saw but a few other vehicles there in 3 days.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just south of Safford, AZ :D

·
Registered
477 Posts
Nice!!!.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...and i only dropped it once in the twisties on my trip. Steep tight switchback, right hander 180 with a bikelength's turn radius, i missed second coming out, grabbed a handful expecting to go somewhere, leaned over pretty good, so i just kept turning right into the inside and dropped it before i got to the edge. Bike ended up dropped downhill on a narrow shoulder and i ran it out downhill till i could stop. Fully loaded, i had to drag the bike down the hill a bit, back onto the road and spin it around to pick it up.

fun stuff, i want to go back, possibly with a streetier tire than the 270's.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It turns to dirt just after where my blue line ends, all the blue is paved, half of it paved this summer, really smooth and sticky. There's probably a good 12-15 miles of paved twisties, some really tight stuff at a few spots. The dirt has plenty of twists, turns, ups, downs, but nothing too gnarly, lots of fun though. IIRC there's 12 miles of dirt to Riggs Lake Saw lots of whitetail around there, but no bear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
One more silly question...
Does that 366 have an "out" point or join up with another road or does it dead end? How long, milewise?
Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It dead ends at Riggs lake, unless you can fly! Camp Shannon is a good place to camp, fire rings, picnic tables, and bear boxes. It's an out and back, but a helluva ride to a really cool spot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
BEAR BOXES!!!!
At least that means I won't have to pack a tent...Goodness, I hope they have windows or ventilation so we don't suffocate! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When are you planning on going? It's just a short lil KLRide away from me, offroad most of the way across the valley, . There's lots of good rides around the area of southeast AZ, the valleys are littered with jeep/atv trails and the mountains usually have lot of fun fireroads. If you're in the hood, hit me up and i might be able to come out and play.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, and another fun section (when it's not raining on me while fixing flats at night :roll: ) is 191 heading out of Clifton/Morenci, that section is just ridiculous, it'd be complete nirvana on a supermoto.

There's probably close to 100 miles of tight tiwsties through amazing scenery (if you're not there at night in the clouds as it's raining on you :shock: ) all good pavement. After my flat I was pushing to beat the dark and weather, so when i got back on the road i dug in and started working the wet twisties. Not wanting to drag boots, I attacked it like i would as if it was gravel, in a more upright position, steering with throttle, and i found i could hang the back end out like on gravel. Fun stuff, i flt like a KTM rider for a bit, powersliding on pavement. After it got dark it didn't matter, so i backed off a bit and made my way down through Alpine to Springerville. I think it even snowed a bit near Hannigan Meadow, i thought i saw a few flakes smacking my goggles at somewhere near 9300'. I had a helluva grin frozen on my ugly grill when i got to the bottom though.

I'm loving my new light setup, 1000% better that the stocker. With the lights on the forks i can lean in just a bit, hang off a bit, and turn the bars more instead of countersteering to "peek around corners. With the stocker i would have been riding blind most of the way, only seeing where i am and not where i'm going. I've also got the redundancy of two lights, which came in handy when i blew my high beam bulb on 70 from Payson to SAfford around lake Roosevelt. I can use either low, igh beam, or both by selecting the "middle" position on my hi/lo switch. It doesn't seem to tax my electrical system too bad, as i mostly ride with both on, but i've also eliminated most of the load, no instruments or turn signals, just the headlights 2 x 55w, LED tail/brake and whatever the CDI takes to run. The lights haven't even dimmed.

The road from Flagstaff to Sedona is another fun ride if you can do it without traffic. From Flag to Sedona i got lucky and was able to scoot past a slow car and had lots of clear road ahead. On the way back i caught up to a BMW pilot on a ?650, working the twisties. I could just imagine his shock of getting chased by a "dirtbike" in the tight stuff, i had to back off a few times on the tighter switchbacks to let him have some braking distance. He'd pull on me in the straights (hey, i had a full load of camping gear bungied on the back) but as soon as he'd brake for the tight stuff, i'd be right there again. We weren't really pushing it all out (at least I wasnt) but were keeping a brisk pace. Near the end we both got caught behind a Hardley 2up and he led the procession of cruiser, BMW, and my crazy contraption into town.

Actually, it's hard to find an uninteresting road in AZ unless you stick to the superslab. I hardly ever touch the stuff, did 1500+ miles, only 40 of it in the interstate, and a couple hundred dirt miles.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I fell in love with AZ back in 1977 when I was stationed there at Ft Huachuca.

The love was rekindled in June 06 when I rode out to the left coast.

I'll be back there in late Oct to spend 9 days with my wife seeing the sights, (from a rental car) :cry:

But she will be able to see it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I worked on FHU at the FBO on the civillian side, and fueling forest service aircraft during season, all their rotorcraft, i'd plug P3,s P2's and DC4's. I got to go inside Gen Macarthurs old personal DC4 converted to slurrybomber, and fueled it quite a few times. If you end up at the Bisbee Grille for dinner during your travels, let me know you're in the house and i'll do ya up some tasty dinner. We got a good 10oz ribeye and an 8oz filet on the menu, all cut in-house. If you're in the area check out the Bisbee 1000.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts