Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will this be a good replacement for my KLR?
I bought my second KLR last fall for a quick trip to Moab. The bike worked well, though I found it a little heavy for for some of the riding.
( I hauled the bike to Moab)

I recently sold the KLR and then just recently got asked to go back to Moab for another kick at the stuff we did not ride.

Realizing there are other choices, however this 400 has low kms and is within reach of my budget.

Any comments would be appreaciated.

It's been a while since I was on this forum, but still find it useful.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Are you talking about the 03 KLX thats street legal? If so, its the same bike as the DRZ. Good solid bikes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an 04.
I replaced my 09 KLR with an R1200GS, unfortunately the GS is a little tough to ride on the goat trails.
The KLX specs look favorable, especially the weight.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
It would work well for what you want. You'd just have to add extra fuel capacity.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone increased the rear tire size to a 140 on the rear? It currently has a 130 trail wing.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
A 130 is not a 130 on different brands. A 130 606 fits nice. I had a 140 Karoo 2 but didn't care for it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Decided to get Heideneau's for the KLX, priced well and I am familiar with the performance from days of my F800 GS.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Online KLX Manual?

Looking for an online manual for a 2004 KLX400 or DRZ400. I have been to a few sites, however the word free does not appear.

I recall seeing plenty of KLR stuff out there so I thought there may be a KLX one as well.

Help is appreciated

·
Administrator
8,363 Posts
Yeah, free manuals are rather rare; copyright infringement and all that.

Fortunately, an '04 is old enough that stuff will pop up on e-bay. Right now there are two factory manuals on e-bay, priced at $25 and $40. Not bad.

Dunno if Clymer ever made a manual for it, but they are usually in the $30 range unless you find a used one.

T

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, free manuals are rather rare; copyright infringement and all that.

Fortunately, an '04 is old enough that stuff will pop up on e-bay. Right now there are two factory manuals on e-bay, priced at $25 and $40. Not bad.

Dunno if Clymer ever made a manual for it, but they are usually in the $30 range unless you find a used one.

T
Thanks, will check out Ebay.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I made it to Moab again this year, KLX400 instead of KLR650 this time.

I cannot say anything bad about either bike as they each have proven more than adequate for the challenge. (Just don't get in over head,)

Here a few photos from this years ride... (KLR650, KLX400 and KLX250)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts