Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I want to say thank you to all the knowledgeable folks on this forum sharing their stuff. I've found solutions to a number of questions by browsing around here.

I wonder if anyone could help me work out the issue I'm now stuck on. The bike in question is a 1995 KLX 650. I recently replaced the fuel lines due to some minor fuel leaking and while I had the thing apart I pulled the snorkel off the air filter box as just a short term experiment to see what kind of effect it had. I know you can't just mess with the air and not the fuel and I didn't have time to do the whole mod properly so this wasn't going to be a permanent thing. I put maybe 25 (mostly city) miles on the bike with the air box opened up like that. I then reinstalled the snorkel (everything now back to stock) and went for a ride. I immediately did about 6 highway miles at 70 then about 2 miles at 30 on residential streets then pulled up to a stop light where it idled fine, rode another block, stopped at the next light and it died as if it had suddenly run out of gas and it hasn't run since. On the spot I checked some basics and tried what I could. No dice, battery died, compression start failed, ended up trucking it home.

I first checked the fuel lines and verified that they weren't kinked and the petcock wasn't plugged. Fuel is getting to the carb (and out the bottom if I open the bowl drain). It was a little choke happy while I had the air box open (to be expected) but it was a pretty minor difference. I pulled the plug but that showed no sign of fowling and I'm getting good spark. It's consistent and strong. In case it was loss of vacuum in the lines I tried just starter fluid but got nothing. No splutter, just cranking and no sign of any ignition. I have to admit that is has been a good ten years since I dug around inside a carb, so I'm waiting until I have a good idea where I'm going before I get in there. Does anything jump out at you folks as my glaring mistake? Any suggestions as to what to try next? Happy to provide more details if it sounds like something is missing.

Like I said I'm a little rusty on my shop experience so I hope you'll forgive my amateur ways as I find my bearings again. I do know my way around a wrench at least and I'm the type who likes to (and usually can) solve his own problems.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Adam

klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=12272 sounds a little similar but still having trouble.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Adam,
Check the simple stuff first..

Pull the fuel line off the carb and see if it's getting gas at that point.

Pull the spark plug and replace.. No reason to get fancy here.. Just a regular stock plug for $3.. It's money well spent, even if it's not the problem..

Check your air filter, clean..

Before you put your new plug in, check to see if you have spark..

These are the basics.. If you don't have fuel, spark, or air, you'll need to back step to find out why.. Usually it's something simple..

Also, only do one thing at a time so you know what actually fixes it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I finally got a chance this week to dig back in and go over the bike again. I had actually gone through all those basics a couple times but I thought, "Ok, once more, extra thorough."

Previously when I pulled the plug I had cleaned it and checked for spark. It was a little worn but it appeared to have good spark. This time I replaced it. Lo and behold, that was it.

I definitely felt pretty dumb but thanks for making me recheck the idiot stuff one more time! :sign0161:

I have a gut feeling that she's running hotter than I remember but I can't be sure. Is there a clue I might want to keep an eye out for?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts