Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know there is a lot of info on here about this, but its easier for me if I just ask, because there are different factors involved from previous posts. Im wanting to do the Eagle Mikes KLX upgrade on my '16 KLR. What I have purchased is:
-Eagle Mikes KLX jet kit
-UniFilter
-carb screw upgrade kit
I will not be modifying the airbox or the exhaust. My questions are:
-Which main jet to use
-Where to put clip on the needle
-Do i drill the hole in the slide to 7/64
And anything else Im forgetting. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
A couple thoughts;

- the KLX kit comes with pretty good directions and Mike knows what he's talking about

- the decision to keep the airbox/exhaust stock is a personal one and a valid choice IMO.....however I would at least remove the snorkle (costs nothing and can be put back) the stock airbox is restrictive as-is and the snorkle adds even more restriction with no real benefit. Honestly, if I wasn't going to remove the snorkle, I'd probably just keep the stock jetting.

- I'd go with a 142 main, 2 clip, no washers under and 2 turns on the screw....should work well as long as the snorkle is MIA.....if you want to keep it, then I don't know.

- drilling the slide has no effect on jetting; it is simply done to improve throttle response. you don't need to do it; I didn't.

Dave

·
Registered
206 Posts
OK, I know there is a lot of info on here about this, but its easier for me if I just ask, because there are different factors involved from previous posts. Im wanting to do the Eagle Mikes KLX upgrade on my '16 KLR. What I have purchased is:
-Eagle Mikes KLX jet kit
-UniFilter
-carb screw upgrade kit
I will not be modifying the airbox or the exhaust. My questions are:
-Which main jet to use
-Where to put clip on the needle
-Do i drill the hole in the slide to 7/64
And anything else Im forgetting. I appreciate any help. Thanks.
Ok! IMHO, as I just did the upgrade myself... I found that, in order, the 140 jet, 2nd slot down, yes, and the spacer did a markedly wonderful job on mine...... you forgot the 1 3/4 turn on the air screw....
With that said... To muddy the waters, I live at 7,800 ft. I generally only go up from there. I also have the stock air cleaner with no other performance upgrades. It turned this thing from a good bike to a fun as hell bike!!
If your at sea level, I might go with the next size larger jet. But to get it perfect as perfect can be... you'd have to dyno it. You won't go wrong with the recommendation form Eagle Mike's.
Enjoy! Modify at your own risk!! Yes there's a disclaimer. Don't all really fun things have rules these days?

Watch the youtube video. Recommended.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the info!! The kit came in yesterday, and with 3 inches of rain here in Illinois it gives me something to start on this evening. I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the update....new needle, 142 main jet, 2 turns on the air screw, slide drilled to 7/64, carb stuck back in place and....I cant get the freakin choke cable screwed back in!!!! Do they install the cable into the carb, then build the bike around it? I need more help please...

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Do they install the cable into the carb, then build the bike around it? I need more help please...
Actually,
If one 'Reads' the OEM service manual, that statement is correct!
They recommend removing the carb out the RH side of the bike "before Removing" the choke cable from the carb!
Which probably means dis-connecting the cable from the choke lever on the LH handlebar to have 'enough' slack to remove the carb!

If one is patient and persistent, you will get things aligned straight enough to 'catch a thread' and screw together with finger tips!
I tighten and loosen with a 'crow-foot' on an extension.

But you might Google, "Chilliwack Wrench"! Or find the thread "Simple, Cheap and Easy" by Normk.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mircales happen! After many hours of throwing tools and cussing, late Friday night I calmly walked up to the bike and somehow lined up the choke cable into the carb, grabbed a thread, and finally noticed the little slots in the back of the bolt facing me, and used a small flat screw driver to tighten it down. Threw everything back together Sat morning and tried it out. After 200 mi this weekend, its definately a different bike! Thanks again for all the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts