Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started collecting knives when my Grandpa started giving me one for every birthday and christmas present (starting when I was about 6). I have quite a collection. Nothing fancy...I'm pretty cheap and so was he. I have a big bowie knife with a hand tooled leather sheath (roses) that my Gpa carried in wwII...it is one wicked piece of steel. Other than that I just have pretty standard stuff. I like CRKT's stuff and I have a fondness for Gerber blades.

I thought about this now because I just picked up a new EDC that is pretty amazing. A SOG Flash I. Opens like butter, sharp as a razor, rides low in the pocket, and is a good size. Probably the most practical knife I've owned. I carry a knife pretty much all the time. Mostly because I like to whittle and hate hangnails. ;)

What do you carry?

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Usually something very small, like the Old Timer 12OT or 18OT. I have a Camillus equivalent of the 18OT that I've been carrying for a long time.

When I'm getting dressed up or I need to carry something a bit larger I'll use one of my Kershaw, Benchmade, or Gerber blades.

There's always a Swiss Army Tinker somewhere on my person or kit and a Buck Whittaker on my keyring.

It tend to like run of the mill knives and don't go for tactical stuff.

Tom

·
Registered
88 Posts
Tidioute

I carry a Tidioute made by Queen Cutlery in Titusville PA. This knife is made in America by Americans out of real steel. You can taste the carbon. I blued it soon as I got it. Takes a hell of an edge. Have carried a knife since cub scouts and find a use for it every day. I have no clue whatever how men survive without one, other than asking me to cut this, like a girl.

I bought this knife on my 60th from the factory workers who had set up a card table in front of the Ace hardware on Main St in Tidioute PA at the 4th of July parade. They are real knife geeks. We go to Tidioute each year to see the PBR at Hickory Creek Ranch overlooking the national forest. Tidioute is a pretty little town on the Allegheny river just one silent E away from a wardrobe malfunction. If you ever want to get away from it all, I can tell you that Tidioute is right where it all is not.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've got a collection going myself.. I used to just give them to my dad. But I've been keeping them lately. I'll have to get some pic to post later.

Here's the one I carry. SwissArmy Picknicker. what a great knife. and not with the typical short blade either. I've used it pretty rough and it's held up.

Great thread topic.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Cold Steel.

I became a dealer many years ago, and like the fact that if they ever become dull, I can send them back to Ventura to get an edge put on. My daily carry is the AK47 assisted opening. You pull it out of your pocket, and it is open, and when it does open, it sounds like you putting one in the chamber. My dress knife is a Talwar folder custom series.

http://www.coldsteel.com/talwar-folder.html

MB4

·
Registered
704 Posts
Got a bunch and almost all users....

EDC is a Spyderco Salt 1, yellow handle. Dress up is usually a SOG Twitch II or a Benchmade Benchmite.

Have a good Multi-Tool and a substantial fixed blade in my "possibles" bag that goes pretty much everywhere I go.

Often overlooked are EDC flashlights - I have a high tech LED single cell with me at all times and a bunch of others wherever they might be needed. How many of you have a first aid kit without a flashlight in it???

LJ - treasure your Gpa's WWII carry. I know it makes no difference, but you might be really surprised at the value of those knives with a history.

BTW I remove the clips from most of my carry knives.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Pics!

Most of my knives (including the beast my Grandpa carried in the war) are at my parents' house in PA. Here's a sampling of some interesting knives I like a lot (and a few old freebies - purina & coca cola - my Gpa gave me). The swiss key thing is a pretty neat tool. I stopped carrying it on my keys when I got the tiny SOG (which is the shit as far as a small key knife...SHARP...and tiny). The SOG Flash I is still fairly new and pretty. It is an awesome assisted opener. I like the bigger S&W, but it is pretty heavy. Those are my two go to knives. Oh, and the CRKT fixed blade. That thing is indestructible...great fishing, camping, long ride knife. Decent throwing knife, opens cans well, never had to sharpen it, and it has seen some rough use.

Like I said, these are my go to knives. The SOG is especially cool cause it is ridiculously light and rides low enough in the pocket all you see is the clip. The S&W is SUPER thin, but still heavy. I have a Gerber that is the same size with a plastic handle...lighter, but thicker.

Had to put up one of the tiny SOG, too. ;)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I agree about the Flashlight, BI. Got two in my trunk of my bike. I carry this fishing. Good blade and the flashlight is pretty decent. Used to carry it in my pocket. Probably should start that again.

http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Logic-SVC2-Flashlight-Translucent/dp/B001CNRVQA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1264624031&sr=8-9

Sorry for the link, but it is with my fishing gear and I am lazy. :)

And yeah, my Grandpa's knife will stay in the family. It is one of my most valued possessions. And I don't value too many possessions.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts

With a knife on your keychain, I'm guessing you don't fly much?? I have a lot of really nice knives, and unfortunately, I've given a few to TSA at airports.:(

My current carry knife is a small Buck 2 bladed folder. Always razor sharp, and I try keep it in my pocket unless I have a flight.. It's sitting in my change jar at home, right now, since I'm in Florence, SC until tomorrow. Just so I don't lose it, I keep a Leatherman in my work boots, in my checked baggage.. It's on my side right now since I just got out of the papermill. Hopefully, I'll remember to put it back in my work boots, rather than give another to TSA.

I'm not a knife collector, but I do have some pretty cool ones.. I have my Grandfather's custom built knife that was cut out of a crosscut saw blade. It's got a oak handle and I'm still amazed at how well it holds an edge. I used it to gut my first deer (over 30 years ago) and I've put it away since. I couldn't bear losing it or breaking it.

I also have a really nice Damascus bladed knife I bought years ago.. Custom knife maker down in Phoenix who quit being a school teacher to make knives full time. It's too nice to use..:ashamed0001:

For hunting I use generic folders from Cabela's or Gander Mountain.. :character00271:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With a knife on your keychain, I'm guessing you don't fly much?? I have a lot of really nice knives, and unfortunately, I've given a few to TSA at airports.:(
I don't fly much, but I flew right after 9/11 through Philly and forgot to take my keys off my belt (had a small gerber on then). No beep through the detector. I went back and told the security people. They guy said it wasn't enough metal to set it off. I said that wasn't really the point. And I have a LOT of keys as you can see. Still amazes me.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Off topic, but did you hear about the idiot in Milwaukee that waited until the plane was on the tarmac before telling the flight attendant that he had some shotgun shells in his pocket??

I've had a large Buck knife make it through TSA scanning several times before I found it on the bottom of my computer bag. Of course, when I found it I was sitting at the terminal at John Wayne Airport, already through TSA.. I just tossed it on the bottom of the bag, and took it out when I got home..

TSA people don't like it when you inform them they're idiots.. (and most are)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, I hadn't heard about that, but it doesn't surprise me. And they are idiots. My bro in law used to work at the airport (he is a sheet metal worker, not an idiot) and the amount of weapons they confiscate is staggering.

The saddest I heard was a confiscation of one of those fancy, expensive, engraved cake cutters from someone's wedding. Didn't even have a sharp edge.

Funny story. I was in San Diego a few years ago, and went snorkeling and had to hustle to shower and get to the airport. I was still wet and put a bunch of talcum powder in my shoes. Sign at the airport said it was optional to take off shoes. The guy ordered me to take mine off. I don't like authority much. I made a big stink about it. You should have seen his face when he finally got me to take them off and a gang of white powder fell out. ;)

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Paper-

I travel quite a bit. In Tucson today, Dallas last week. Big drag about travel is no knife.have to remember to remove all knives, including the Whittaker Never know what TSA will do next, so I don't risk taking any.
I did lose one, a CRKT that I had forgotten about, in San Jose in very dramatic fashion.
It had gone through LAX without being noticed, but got caught in San Jose. The TSA guy made a big show of extracting it from the bag and flipping it open. "THIS is CONTRABAND!" He proclaimed clandestinely...

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
704 Posts
I can deal with incompetence and arrogance. I just have a problem dealing with them at the same time from the same individual.

That being said, I've come across a couple of TSA guys that had it pretty much together.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well said. And you're right. They can't all be idiots. Gross generalizations are just that. :ashamed0001:

·
Registered
88 Posts
the cutting edge

It is unbecoming a free people to tamely submit to routine frisking searching and scanning. We ought to take vengeance on our enemies; not on ourselves.

I get one knife and use it up before getting another. Started with a Barlow as a scout, sharpened it to a stub, got a one blade Old Timer, carried it to sea, sharpened it down to a sliver, when that blade started wobbling got a two blade office knife, sharpened it until likewise, then this Tidioute. That's my whole 50 some year knife history, is just 4 knives. This may be the last one I need. I like the familiarity of a constant companion. Dunno what I'd do with a collection. Over the years, I grind the little heel whatchamacallit at the bottom of the blade so it will fold farther and farther into the handle when the point starts to poke my pocket. Eventually the thumbnail groove starts to disappear into the handle. Only then do I start thinking of getting another. Still have the Old Timer and office knife in the garage. The office knife had an engraved handle, but the engraving got worn off in my pocket.

Tidioute is a good eating knife. Pull it out in a restaurant and slide smooth through a steak when all the people around me are shredding up their dead cow with one of those serrated pieces of Chinese crap they give you.

Looks about like this (of course, mine is blued dark):

The company was started by some knife geeks who broke loose from Queen City, they say over a quality control argument when the company was bought by someone, and so they started their own.

This is a fun thread.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
What a great thread! I had to run downstairs and grab a photo of my gpa's "pig dispatcher". I'm going to clean it up a bit more tonight but yes, that is solder added to the handle to repair the wood. Gawd knows how many times this knife was sharpened given the blade shape. The other odd knife has a crescent wrench built in and is much older than any swiss army knife I've ever seen.

Cheers,

John :49:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Nothing fancy

And I have more....someplace. I am kinda partial to my Spyderco Civilian tho. Quite a wicked looking knife. Bad pic also:)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
My every day carry knives are a CRKT M-18-02 that resides in my back pocket and a small Gerber on my keychain. I am very fond of the M18 because I like the Carson Flipper opening design. The blade has just enough belly that it works well for skinning hogs or just about any other cutting chore. It's just big enough yet not too big. I'll have to take a pic of some of my knives to post. I don't have anything expensive but might be of interest.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts