Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Group
Love my 08 KLR, 11,000 miles.
Lately when I let the clutch out and give it gas, I hear a distinctive and disturbing noise from the rear area of the bike. I've tightened the chain, and nothing is hitting anything, that I can see. The sound almost could be coming from inside the engine, when accelerating under stress on the drive train. A rattly sound, much as you would expect IF the chain WERE hitting something. My hope is that it is not inside the clutch area of the engine. Any Thoughts?
Greg Feet in Santa Barbara

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Four possibilities outside the engine I can think of.
1. is the locking nut on the counter sprocket loose?
2. are the nuts on the rear break tight and pads securley in the caliper?
3. Is there any debris inside the counter sprocket guard?
4. If you bounce the bike up and down are the bearings in the linkage making noise?

You might also wanna but the bike on a stand and run it in first to see if you can pin point the noise.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I get a similar noise on initial accelleration, kind of a dull rattling. It is the chain hitting inside the front sprocket guard. The guard is plastic, not metal, and under load, the chain is tight on top and looser on bottom, and the sag hits the plastic. It's worse if the chain is dry - lubing really helps reduce the noise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe this is a repeat, but thanks for the advice on my rear end noise. It's been driving me nuts, and I think you're onto something. I wonder, though, why it never did it until now. Maybe something is amis near the sproket, since I do abuse the bike now and then. Thanks again.
Greg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rear end knocking noise solved, thanks.

Thanks to this information board and two guys who responded, I saved a lot of money and having to take my bike in. I use a special waxy spray on my chain, and this stuff must have built up over time and made the chain not flexible. This made the chain hit the front sproket guard and make a terrible noise that could have been from anywhere. I never would have ascertained that this was the cause of the problem without the response from the group. I lubed the chain up and the sound was gone instantly.
Greg Feet in Santa Barbara

1 - 5 of 5 Posts