Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All

I am trying to wire in Kobra hand guard LED turn signals to my existing OEM turn signals.

My bike is a 2015 KLR650 and I need to know whether I can just add a resistor to the existing turn signal wires and have both the new LED handguard and OEM turn signals flash at a constant rate. Also, I assume it is a 10 watt resistor correct?

I'm really stuck here so any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you're to leave OEM bulbs in signals, you don't need to add any resistors. Resistor is needed when you replacing regular bulbs for LEDs. Another option is to change the flasher for electronic. That's what I do an all my vehicles to get maximum benefit of LEDs. If you want to lower the load on alternator, installing LEDs with resistor is useless.

Mark

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. So just so I have this straight, if I am keeping my stock OEM fender signal lights and just adding LED handguard signal lights, no resistors/flasher modules are needed?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
You will not need to add resisters. That is done when you are converting to all LEDs and the LEDs don't draw enough current to make the flasher work properly.

If you are not happy with the flash rate after the modification you can replace the flasher relay with one made for LEDs like this https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/motorcycle-accessories/lf1-s-flat-universal-motorcycle-electronic-flasher/787/842/
Just wire the the red input wire to the brown wire from the harness and the black output wire to the orange wire from the harness.

If you get some crossfeed through the single incandcent dash indicator bulb causing the opposite side LEDs to flash a little, a low power LED type 194 dash indicator bulb might solve the problem. Otherwise you can wire the dash indicator through a couple of diodes like this https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/motorcycle-accessories/metric-bike-diode-kit/1190/#/tab/Specifications.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts