Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
121 - 140 of 178 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Here is my latest oil analysis report. This time I had only 3000 miles on the oil and the aluminum numbers are now down to normal. There is some concern about Sodium and a possible coolant leak, but the coolant level has been unchanged over the last 10k miles.

I have not yet inspected the cam bearings for wear as pdwestman has suggested. It's on my todo list for a rainy weekend this winter.

Martin

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
What actions will you take as countermeasures to unfavorable indications (if any) found in your oil analysis, chrider?

Just askin'!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Not sure. I have not given that too much thought.

I used to have an airplane with a Lycoming engine and in that case, I felt regular oil analysis was a tool to possibly get some advance notice before something was going south with the engine in flight.

In the case of the KLR, with little money invested, and with 80% of my riding within 1 hr from home, I am not overly concerned about it and won't do oil analysis on a regular basis. In fact, now that the aluminum numbers are normal, I'll likely wait a year (15k mi) or more before doing the next one.

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
chrider,
The Aluminum is now very close to average. The Iron & Copper are Better than average. And I wonder if 'salt-air' Humidity might answer the Sodium level?

One of my friends joked about my KLR's salt free diet, up here in dry Wyoming. You could send BSL's an e-mail to inquire if this is even possible.

I've wondered if Rotella is processed from salty base stock, due to the KLR UA of 24 ppm of Sodium?

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Riding in Oregon with regular trips along the coast, some of them on wet days, certainly doesn't make for a "salt free" environment. I also commute in wet and dry weather, lately often with foggy mornings, so it seems plausible that some humidity may enter the crankcase via the breather.
I'll have a look at my coolant to make sure it doesn't contain a significant amount of motor oil (I am assuming that oil in the coolant would raise to the top). If none present, and since the coolant level has remained unchanged for 10k miles, I won't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
In response to the higher than usual Sodium readings, I inspected the cooling system today and noticed a few drops of coolant on the floor coming from the weep hole of the water pump. So, maybe that is the cause of elevated sodium readings. I inspected the impeller and it looks good. Looks like it's time for replacing water pump seals.

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
In response to the higher than usual Sodium readings, I inspected the cooling system today and noticed a few drops of coolant on the floor coming from the weep hole of the water pump. So, maybe that is the cause of elevated sodium readings. I inspected the impeller and it looks good. Looks like it's time for replacing water pump seals.
The coolant pump weep hole is BETWEEN the pump shaft Oil Seal & the pump shaft Coolant Seal to keep the two fluids Separated. So if the weep hole is open to allow a drip on the floor, that is NOT the source of sodium in old oil.
Engine oil would also start to look like creamed coffee if coolant was entering.

IME, it can be quite common for coolant pump mechanical coolant seals to weep a bit after periods of inactivity.
That is part of the reason that we fill our coolant reservoirs about half full when cold, to replenish those occasional tiny losses.
Otherwise we would only need a mere couple of ounces in the very bottom of coolant reservoirs (to see when it has been consumed) and could use smaller lighter reservoirs.

I suggest to ride it awhile before condemning the mechanical seal as un-fit.

Fresh Cold oil will aerate during the initial start-up to fill the oil filter & re-check freshly changed oil level, so Don't be Fooled by this fact of life either.
Fully warmed oil will disperse its air very quickly. If we had an oil window on our automobile engines, we would see the same cold oil aeration.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Thank you for your response. That makes sense. The seals are already on order, but I rode the KLR to work today as usual, and I'll keep an eye on the fluid level. I have not observed any leaking when the engine is running, and except for that one time Sunday when I was working on it, there has not been any sign of coolant loss on my garage floor.

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Thanks again for the assistance Tom.

I am wondering if I should re-install the 2.06mm crankshaft oil control orifice (less oil consumption) for the next 5000 mile run or fill the engine with 20W50 Kawasaki petroleum oil for a 3,000 mile run (un-tested with mods)? Please remember that My bike has a totally modified lubrication system. I'm happy to try either scenario, I trust my modifications & experience.

I have acquired a newer parts bike (2005) that I intend to trade balancer shaft sprockets with, some time this winter and install an EM Torsion Spring onto the older EM Doo-Hickey. So its sump is still empty!

What are the membership suggestions?

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
What are the membership suggestions?
Just askin' (DISCLAIMER: Have authorized no laboratory oil analysis myself.): What corrective action do you take when negative indications arise from oil analysis?

Change brands and type of lubricant? Modify lubrication system?

Very respectfully submitted; no criticism intended.

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
I stirred the soup really good with an Amsoil OAI oil report over on Facebook yesterday & this morning. The report is from Don Smith's personal pre-owned KLR650.

I have invited Don Smith to post his report over here and will ask that moderators Tom Schmitz, klr4evr or any other moderator to censor me if I make any in-appropriate or in-correct statements about IT, in their personal opinion.

If I knew how to borrow it from FB "Kawasaki KLR 650 Owners" page, I would put it in this posting myself. I just wish to have the information more easily retrieved than seems to be possible over on FaceBook.

I truly look forward to reading the next 2, 3 or 4 samples of his Amsoil oil reports.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
If I knew how to borrow it from FB "Kawasaki KLR 650 Owners" page, I would put it in this posting myself.
This procedure may work:

Highlight the portion of the post you wish to share; COPY.

Open a post on this website, then PASTE.

The text you selected will then appear in your post on this website.

-------------------------------

Again,
What corrective action do you take when negative indications arise from oil analysis?

·
Administrator
9,379 Posts
It was a little hard to find, but this is what I found. The complete report is hard to read. I tried to clean it up but wasn't too successful. Hopefully, Don may come along with a better version.

·
Administrator
9,379 Posts
I am due for another analysis. At the end of my last trip I had an inlet valve failure so I'd expect some fuel dilution. This might be a good opportunity to get an analysis from both Blackstone and Polaris and do a bit of compare and contrast on the two labs. I think I'll do that.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
I stirred the soup really good with an Amsoil OAI oil report over on Facebook yesterday & this morning.
What was the thrust and content of the discussions? Your bottom-line conclusion from your analysis?

Just askin'; don't know the composition of the soup you stirred!

DISCLAIMER: I ain't no Facebooker.

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Thank you Tom.

I suggested that Don should draw another sample and send it to Blackstone Labs to see if they concurred with OAI's findings. He and his 'buddy' did not feel that BSLs was a very thorough or up to date laboratory. Someone else suggested that Don & his buddy were in error.

With your self installed float bowl over-flow stand pipe, I'll suggest that your engine oil will be nearly fuel free. I look forward to your newest report(s).

I always capture about 16 ounces of hot oil into a clean glass salsa jar & pour sample as needed & reserve the rest, in case the postal service looses or damages my sample. My last sample took nearly 2 weeks to get to BSL even with 1st class postage! Don't know what the postal service was doing with it?

·
Administrator
9,379 Posts
I installed the modified bowl after the inlet fuel valve issue.

Fuel dilution is not something I have never worried about before. I don't do much stop and go and have had a manual petcock. We'll see what the reports say.

Polaris has already gotten my ire up. For some reason, I have this crazy idea that I ought to be able to go to their website and order a kit and lab test and have it sent to me. They have the kits, I have money. It is a simple transaction.

Instead, I have to apply for an account and "We will assess the information you provided and someone from our team will contact you shortly."

That is at least three kinds of stupid.

I feel a rant coming on...

·
Administrator
9,379 Posts
So far Polaris Laboratories and I are not quite seeing eye-to-eye on how to run an internet bidness.

As I mentioned before, I have this radical idea that ordering up a friggin' plastic bottle with a label on it to put some oil in and send it in for analysis, and paying for that analysis, ought to be just about as complicated as going on Revzilla and ordering a pair of gloves.

They think that I need assistance in being 'set up' as a new customer so that I can navigate the enormously complex process of getting a damn bottle with a friggin' label on it. Just for giggles and grins, I went and looked at my password file to get an idea of how many internet bidnesses I have managed to set up accounts with, all on my own mind you, for products ranging from thread, zippers, yardage material, gunpowder, machinery, parts, chocolates, oil, and a host of other categories. It's close to 200 businesses. I don't think this is a special process.

Expecting it to be run just like any other internet bidness, I logged on to their website on Saturday 1/4 and looked around a bit. They advised that the 'store' has now moved to HORIZON. What that is, what it means, and why they are shouting I've no idea.

They say that if you are a returning customer that you should click on 'Store'. That ain't me.
They say that if you wanna go through one of their 'Retail Partners' to 'Click Here'. That ain't me, either. I don't want to go through some jabroni third party. I wanna deal with the real McCoy here.
They say if you want to be a new customer and set up an account to 'Click Here' and they'll get you set up within 24 hours. That sounds like me, but the 24-hour dealio is harshing my mellow, man. 1995 called and they want their business model back, yo. Regardless, I 'Clicked Here'.

This got me an e-mail about how pleased and excited they were that I had chosen them and that a representative would be contacting me to help me set up an account within the next 24 hours. I knew this was less than truthful because the smell of a 1995-era business model with brick-and-mortar hours for an internet bidness was in the air like Chinese cardboard at Horrid Fright. That's OK, though, their site, their rules and I played along. The e-mail went on to promise that, once I was ordained with an account I "will be able to order test kits and testing supplies – right from the online system". Imagine that! Right from the comfort of my own home, me and the lappy will be ordering things and they will come! No catalogs, no salesmen will be calling, no SASE and a check mailed off, no savings stamps sent to Battle Creek, MI, none of that! I swan, it is a wonder.

Sunday came and went, uneventfully as expected, but the excitement of this venture was building and the waiting was painful. Monday came and went, uneventfully again and disappointingly. How were they counting the 24 hours? Had I failed to account for some time zone in the deep in the Atlantic or somewhere in the Heartland? Had they not yet recovered from the New Year's libations? Were their calendars lost? Was I somehow unworthy? I was comforted by the thought that perhaps millions of New Customers had made New Year's resolutions to treat their oils with respect and have a sample drawn and tested and thus all the operators were busy assisting people who got in line before you, ya schmuck.

At least I received an invitation on Monday to join their Oil Analysis for Professionals discussion group on Linkedin. That was heartening, even though I answered that the name of my company was 'None' and that inferring that I was some sort of professional was a bit of a jump to a conclusion. Then, earlier today (Tuesday), I received an invitation to join in on a webinar entitled Oil Analysis 101. They like me! They really like me!

And then the "Whut da heck?" moment. I got an e-mail, midday, asking for the 11 digit "Bar code number from your oil kit.It should be a 11 digit number with a letter in the middle." You know, that kit that me and lappy are supposed to be able to order from the comfort of our own living room, but we can't right now because I'm not yet a customer, but they are going to help me with that within 24 hours?

Yeah, that kit.

Sometimes I just run out of words to describe how I feel. This is one of those times.

Reactions: foo
121 - 140 of 178 Posts