Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a (new) '09 KLR650 and I am/will be doing alot of highway travel on this bike. I have concerns with the amount of wind buffeting due to the small stock wiind screen. I want to eventually replace it with...... Any thoughts from riders whom replaced the stock screen? If it matters, I am 6' tall with a larger torso (32" inseam).

·
Registered
30 Posts
MRA Vario Touring Shield

I am 6' with a 33" inseam. Fitted the MRA shield from Twisted Throttle. I find it a lot better than the stock although I have not done a lot of highway since I fitted it. At full extension it hits me under the helmet so for anything over 60 I lower it 2 notches and it's good for me. You may want a fixed tall shield if most of your riding it highway.
Photos on my photobucket
http://s627.photobucket.com/albums/tt354/deugly1/

The dipped nose on the front fender also causes problems at speed and is like a small sail. I'm chopping mine down and if it looks like crap I'll fit a KTM.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I too have an '09 and fitted the MRA touring sheild from twisted throttle. I'm 6' and wear a helmet with a visor. I wish I would have talked to customer service prior to my purchase. This sheild (the non-adjustable one) does no better than stock and the retailer will not accept a reutrn once it is remove from the sealed packaging. Now i'm out $115 for the sheild and shipping. When I called in after disapointing results I talked with Michael, a customer service rep at twisted throttle. He highly reccomended the MRA 'vario' sheild the one 'deugly' is talking about above. I just purchased the vario screen, hopefully with better results. I ll repost back once its on.

save your money... skip the MRA touring, spring for the adjustable screen

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.292/.f

Madstad adjustable windshield bracket.

I had one on my V-Strom with the stock windshield and loved it. If they made one for the Gen1 KLR I would have it on my '05.

Buy directly from Madstad. Ask for a discount (worked for me). They have good support.

·
Registered
33 Posts
09 Kaw with taller windshield, 5 10 and i have no head buffeting, love the taller windshield, good on cold days too, ordered from Kaw. worth the money

·
Registered
517 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm 5'11" and the wind hit me right in the face with the stock shield. I bought one 4.5" taller and now the wind hits me on top of the helmet. I would have bought a taller one if I was mostly riding on hwy. I ride a lot on dirt and I didn't want to be looking through a dirty windshield when trying to see the rocks and ruts right in front of the bike.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tall screen on 2003

I tried a tall screen on my 03 but the buffeting was unbelieveable right from the start!
I like the protection but can't stand the buffeting, has anyone found a solution for this?
Thanks
Intotheabis

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
True. That is a good deal though. Obviously, there are many other choices.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Dude, the one you quoted me on. Look up. :)

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Dude, the one you quoted me on. Look up. :)
Then I don't understand "That is a good deal though."

Using the Quote function helps.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Then I don't understand "That is a good deal though."

Using the Quote function helps.
You posted a link to a site with higher prices than the one I originally put up. Here's how it went down.

I posted link to a good deal but only one model.

You emphasized the importance of choice and put a link to a vendor with more models but higher prices.

I said, yes, lots of choices, but this was a good price.

I have no investment in either of these vendors.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Did you chop down your front fender and, if so, how did that work out? Your photobucket pix look good.
Al

·
Registered
30 Posts
Front Fender Chop

I could not tell if this question was directed at me, but yes, I chopped my fender and it made a world of difference.

http://s627.photobucket.com/albums/tt354/deugly1/2009 KLR 650 - Changes To Stock KLR/

I now ride at highway speeds with confidence. No fighting the uninhibited erratic flexing of the spearhead shaped airbrake that Kawasaki installed. I have hit speeds of 95 and long periods at 75 with no issues anymore.

I have ridden in both light and torrential rain and have not experienced any downside resulting from the removal of the few square inches of plastic.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts