Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

Does anyone have experience with taking a laptop on an off-road trip? My Dell handles a fair bit of shaking and bouncing, but two weeks on dirt roads seems like a lot to ask of any computer.

Also, what's the best way to rig a power outlet on the KLR for charging the computer's battery, etc?

Dan.

PS: I already know I'm a pathetic geek for wanting to take a computer on an off-road trip so let's just skip that part. ;-)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I took my Dell to Kenya a few months ago, and it tolerated a few hours in a Land Cruiser and being toted around in a backpack very well. But if you subject it to continual vibration, you can count on it dieing. If you really want to take your laptop with you, you should invest in a Panasonic Tough Book. They're about twice the cost of a nice laptop, but they are designed to take virtually anything you can dish out, including rain, vibration, heat, cold, being dropped, etc. It's that or do without a laptop.

I suppose you could look into a very well padded Pelican case, and hope for the best, but I'm afraid you'll be disappointed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts