Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been seeing a bunch of pictures pop up on Instagram of brand new 22' KLR's rolling out of the showroom with sweet looking engine guards. I'd really like to get a set installed over winter, but i think the dirt racks set looks like bulky boxy garbage, so i was curious to find out where these sweet looking ones came from. After a little digging, it became clear that all these photos were posted from Argentina dealer accounts. "That's interesting? maybe i'll do a little oddball detective work" - I messaged one of the accounts to see what the deal is with these engine guards? There was a bit of trouble with the translating at first, but we ironed it out eventually with help from google translate. Fun fact - they call them "Las Defenses de Motor"...anyway - the dealer account manager informed me that these come stock on all the 22' models sold in Argentina only?!! They also come with a fitted bike tarp. WTF Kawasaki? I can't wrap my head around why they would ship 22' models with primo accessories in only one market? maybe just a sales test. I asked the guy if they have sets to sell separately...he said no. Wild. Anyway - i thought this was a mildly interesting discovery. Anyone know of any other decent looking guard sets? I know T-rex racing is close to launching a set that looks like it will be real nice.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
As I understood it from another posting a week or two ago, by allowing an Argentinian aftermarket accessory Company to Supply the shown engine/fairing guards as an OEM installed part on the Argentinian models, Kawasaki was able to side-step about a 1000 what-ever money of IMPORTATION Fees for the home market of the model with the OEM Product.

I'm sure that sooner or later a Larger Argentinian Dealership will be able to sell these 'oem replacement' parts to the world.
Just like RMATV/MC does with all oem brand parts, in the USA.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Funny. I reached out to them as well. The dealership I spoke to said they do not have any in stock right now, but may have some soon. When I asked if they would ship to the United States, I got a cryptic answer of, “We are at you service.” Probably a Google Translate thing.

With the update T-Rex is making to their setup, I think they are the winner, anyway. But these ones in Argentina are quite nice. Don’t know if they would be the strongest, but they look nice on the bike.

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
I'd like to see the anchor point to the frame at the top of the Argentinian Guards. If there is one, under/thru the fairing?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm sure most of you are also following on facebook gen 3 forums also, but i'm waiting for the Happy Trails guards to be released. They showed some teaser pictures, and they look much better than the previous offerings I've seen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I understood it from another posting a week or two ago, by allowing an Argentinian aftermarket accessory Company to Supply the shown engine/fairing guards as an OEM installed part on the Argentinian models, Kawasaki was able to side-step about a 1000 what-ever money of IMPORTATION Fees for the home market of the model with the OEM Product.

I'm sure that sooner or later a Larger Argentinian Dealership will be able to sell these 'oem replacement' parts to the world.
Just like RMATV/MC does with all oem brand parts, in the USA.
Interesting. Yeah i guess that sounds about right. Thanks for the insight (y)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funny. I reached out to them as well. The dealership I spoke to said they do not have any in stock right now, but may have some soon. When I asked if they would ship to the United States, I got a cryptic answer of, “We are at you service.” Probably a Google Translate thing.

With the update T-Rex is making to their setup, I think they are the winner, anyway. But these ones in Argentina are quite nice. Don’t know if they would be the strongest, but they look nice on the bike.
haha. that's awesome. a fellow insta-sleuth. I told my guy to let me know if he ever finds an extra set for sale. his response - "OKEY (y)(y)" - My takeaway? - OKAY = OKEY in Spanish 🔑

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sure most of you are also following on facebook gen 3 forums also, but i'm waiting for the Happy Trails guards to be released. They showed some teaser pictures, and they look much better than the previous offerings I've seen.
im not on facebook so i missed the teasers, but i did see that they put some pictures up on their website. meh.....they definitely look better than the dirt racks setup, but again, this design just looks a little wonky against the lines of the bike imo. Trex is current high bidder for clean design. i know performance rules the roost, but i still want clean lines too. too much to ask? greedy bastard.

·
Registered
2022 Khaki base no abs w/ modified 2018 med tusk panniers & racks w/ modified 2018 crash bars
38 Posts
I've been seeing a bunch of pictures pop up on Instagram of brand new 22' KLR's rolling out of the showroom with sweet looking engine guards. I'd really like to get a set installed over winter, but i think the dirt racks set looks like bulky boxy garbage, so i was curious to find out where these sweet looking ones came from. After a little digging, it became clear that all these photos were posted from Argentina dealer accounts. "That's interesting? maybe i'll do a little oddball detective work" - I messaged one of the accounts to see what the deal is with these engine guards? There was a bit of trouble with the translating at first, but we ironed it out eventually with help from google translate. Fun fact - they call them "Las Defenses de Motor"...anyway - the dealer account manager informed me that these come stock on all the 22' models sold in Argentina only?!! They also come with a fitted bike tarp. WTF Kawasaki? I can't wrap my head around why they would ship 22' models with primo accessories in only one market? maybe just a sales test. I asked the guy if they have sets to sell separately...he said no. Wild. Anyway - i thought this was a mildly interesting discovery. Anyone know of any other decent looking guard sets? I know T-rex racing is close to launching a set that looks like it will be real nice.

View attachment 32111 View attachment 32112
I like the clean look of these bars! I've been on a kick to see what 2018 accessories fit on the 2022 model. Seeing how easily the Tusk Pannier racks were to modify, I just ordered a set of 2018 klr eBay $117 crash bars 😂 & I'm gonna see what happens. I'm thinking they might just bolt right up with a little Bending??? Worth a try LoL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the clean look of these bars! I've been on a kick to see what 2018 accessories fit on the 2022 model. Seeing how easily the Tusk Pannier racks were to modify, I just ordered a set of 2018 klr eBay $117 crash bars 😂 & I'm gonna see what happens. I'm thinking they might just bolt right up with a little Bending??? Worth a try LoL
Keep us posted hombre 🐎 💨

·
Registered
2022 Khaki base no abs w/ modified 2018 med tusk panniers & racks w/ modified 2018 crash bars
38 Posts
The eBay bars arrived today! They will need some modification before they will bolt up because of the radiator mounts but it doesn't look like it'll be that hard to do. A little cutting & welding & I think I'll be ready to post about it. I'll take pictures of the whole process. These are the bars I ordered & they Feel pretty heavy duty for the price 👏😂

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
My eyes might be out of wack tonight, but those look different than the other pictures.
A work in progress...😂 I might cut off the under tank supports once I weld on the upper support bars & clean them up a bit to make them look more like the Argentina bars. To me The main structure of these bars is not TOO different. Obviously they are completely not the same bars. 😂 I just got them in the mail yesterday & today was 70° so I messed with them for a couple hours and got them on the bike. I'll be working on them some more as the cold weather permits 😎👍

·
Registered
38 Posts
And here's with the upper bars welded on. They are so SOLID like this that I think I'll just leave the rear supports. My point was to see if they would fit & they DO! & FYI You can definitely make something closer to the Argentina crash bars with cheap older bars sets if you cut them apart more than I did 😎👍
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Hood
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Vehicle Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

😎 👍

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A work in progress...😂 I might cut off the under tank supports once I weld on the upper support bars & clean them up a bit to make them look more like the Argentina bars. To me The main structure of these bars is not TOO different. Obviously they are completely not the same bars. 😂 I just got them in the mail yesterday & today was 70° so I messed with them for a couple hours and got them on the bike. I'll be working on them some more as the cold weather permits 😎👍
Dude - this looks so nice! I have a mig welder, although its been a little while since i took it for a walk. But you've inspired me to think a bit more about getting creative with fabbing something custom.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dude - this looks so nice! I have a mig welder, although its been a little while since i took it for a walk. But you've inspired me to think a bit more about getting creative with fabbing something custom.
Glad to hear you like my style! 👊😎
I really didn't like anything else on the market as of now. They're either too boxy or too spaceshipy for me. $100 bucks for some bars that I can customize sounded like a better option right now. My mig welder is just a $90 harbor freight jobby. It Works kinda good to a point then you have to turn the heat up & the speed down to melt in effectively... I beat on my welds with a hammer to make SURE they're attached after 💪😂

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, greetings from Argentina, yesterday I received my KLR, it is the same bike in the image of Matttfang since the dealer Pizzutti Motors took a picture of it before sending it to me.
The crash bar is OEM here in Argentina, but don't be sad, you pay us7,000 and we pay us17,000 for the same bike with 4 pipes added.

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 - Fully loaded
29 Posts
Hi, greetings from Argentina, yesterday I received my KLR, it is the same bike in the image of Matttfang since the dealer Pizzutti Motors took a picture of it before sending it to me.
The crash bar is OEM here in Argentina, but don't be sad, you pay us7,000 and we pay us17,000 for the same bike with 4 pipes added.
Love those crash bars, but I would never pay $17k for a friggin KLR. That’s the definition of extortion right there :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts