Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am leaving on my trip from charleston SC to Chicago IL this afternoon. Any last words of wisdom or advice. It is my first trip like this. I'm thinking about stopping for about 10 mins every hour and a half. Or anytime there is something to see. I'm in no perticular rush, as long as the bike and I make it safely. Im all packed up and I've checked and double checked that the bike is in the best condition it can be. Fresh fluids, lubed all pivot points, greased wheel axels, mounted and balanced some fresh tires, luggage mounted securely.... I just feel as though I am overlooking something. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Don't make any changes to the bike today.. You'll find you'll be working on it tomorrow.. :)

When you stop, talk to someone.. Most people dig adventure and want to hear about what you're doing and why (short version).. When I rode my GS home a couple weeks ago I stopped just 30 minutes into the ride to get my camera and pop a couple asprin... I had a couple guys come up and ask how I liked the bike and how long I'd had it.. They laughed when I told them I'd owned it for a half hour..!!

But when I told them I'd just bought it and was riding it back home, they wanted to know where I was going and how long I was going to be riding, etc.. This was Friday at noon, and I told them I'd be home Monday, even though I was hitting a bunch of passes they just stood there with the jaws dropped.. "No Way!!" was what I'd heard.. Hell, I got home earlier than I expected on Monday..

And if you're riding along and see something you want a photo of, stop or turn around and go take it!!

Have fun!!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Put a handkerchief around your neck to block the sun, and if you get hot you can get it wet. Wear ear plugs, take rain gear, spare gloves in case you get soaked and then the sun comes out.

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I'm a believer in a "Camelback" type hydration system; water always available, even through a full-face helmet.

A friend rides his KLR with the reservoir bungeed to the rear fender; he has access to the drinking tube when he wants it, but does not wear the pack on his back.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Love my Camelback w/full face helmet. I also carry the lemon-lime electrolyte tabs. Sold by Camelback. 1tab. To 24oz. Water. GOOD GLOVES !!

Have a blast.

M

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Put a handkerchief around your neck to block the sun, and if you get hot you can get it wet. Wear ear plugs, take rain gear, spare gloves in case you get soaked and then the sun comes out.

Enjoy the ride!
I was gonna say that. I'd throw a couple extras in, too. They don't take up much space and can be very useful. Have fun!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Whatever you think you need, take less, although you wont know what the less is until you do a few trips.

10mins every 30...I think you'll get into a groove and burn a tank of gas at last once before stopping...I would say every hour is more reasonable but Ive gone 3hrs straight out on the open road...

You can cover a lot of miles when you have nothing else to do...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice guys. I apreciate all the help. So far so good. We have made it about halfway now. Stopped in Knoxville tennesssee. Had a little fun in the smokies. Passed the blue ridge parkway. I've heard from several sources on the forum that it's a good ride. Was just wondering from those who have done it what's it like? Worth the detour? I'm riding 2up with gear, so is the road paved or gravel?

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I apreciate all the help. So far so good. We have made it about halfway now. Stopped in Knoxville tennesssee. Had a little fun in the smokies. Passed the blue ridge parkway. I've heard from several sources on the forum that it's a good ride. Was just wondering from those who have done it what's it like? Worth the detour? I'm riding 2up with gear, so is the road paved or gravel?
]
The Blue Ridge P:arkway, AFAIK, is totally PAVED and well-maintained; you can see it in the background of this picture made from the parking lot of its summit:

Also recommende, the Cherohala Skyway.

And, you MUST ride The Tail Of The Dragon to Deal's Gap; on the way!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Zip ties. Big ones.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well arrived here safe and sound about 830 tonight. Fought rain and storms most of the drive today. Had good gear but rain is still no fun for hours on end. Got to the point in southern Indiana that we had to pull over and let it pass. My visor kept fogging up and it was raining so hard I couldn't see the cars ahead of me so I pulled into the rest stop and sought shelter for about 30 mins. All in all it was a good trip. The wife was too excited to get into town to see her family to permit much sightseeing on the ride up but I get free reign to see whatever on the way down. So if you got any suggestions I would love to hear them.

No issues with the bike. Ran great. Did notice some oil consumption. I know this is common on the klr. I was running about 5000 rpm at 75-80 mph and used about 1 quart of oil on the way up. Is this an average amount for the given rmp? Or excessive? Other than the the bike is in great shape and I'm loving life right now. I will head over to photo bucket so I can upload some more pics.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

The first pit stop of the day. Got some gas and a coffee while getting the rain gear on.

Random scenery.

Up in the mountains somewhere.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Crossing a neat looking bridge in Indiana I believe it was.

Once we got into Indiana the heavens opened up. Started off with some light rain. Pulled into an underpass to get the rain gear back on. While gearing up it steadily got heavier. Deciding rain wouldn't kill us we pushed on. About 45 mins later the wind really picked up and rain came in what felt like golf ball size drops. Then came the lightning and thunder. Combine all that with some tractor trailers I couldn't see anything so we sought shelter here...

Pulled the bike into one of the pavilions at a rest stop. Seeing as it was pouring no one was having a picnic today. Took the time to take a bit of a rest and wait for the sun to peek it's head out slightly. Once that happened it was back on the road again. This time I decided to not take the rain gear off and was happy about that. Since it started raining again as soon as we got to northern Indiana and rained all the way to Chicago. All in all a very successful trip. Am glad I did it. Can't wait to head home and get to see some of what I want to see and missed on the ride up. I'm hoping for some better weather as well.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Random photo I forgot to include.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The wife is telling you that you are number one!!!!! How much do the both of you weigh together? Did it handle ok with both of you on it?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh yeah I'm number one alright... Together I would guess somewhere in the 4-420 lb range. Plus the bags and the duffel on top which together were all probably about another 60-75 lbs. Was overweight for sure but it didn't handle poorly. I was actually surprised on how well the bike did. Obviously it didn't handle like it would have solo with no bags but I didn't have any trouble with it. I did get an aftermarket spring specifically for this occasion. So I'm sure that helped.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts