Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

What do you guys think? I found out about this carb when I was reading Reddit posts from this guy TURBO CHARGING A KLR!!!
Um yeah…. That’s sick IMO, I hope it works out for him!

Anywho, I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this carb on their klr or any other bike.
I’m personally never going to throw one on my bike, but I’m very curious about this piece of tech. Plus with how much I put into my klr and how much I got it for, I could have a 990 ktm by now (probably the sexiest adventure bike I’ve ever seen, what a dream boat…) excuse my A.D.D. haha

·
Administrator
3,943 Posts
Do a Forum Search. It's been done.

Reactions: KlrNips

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
Plus with how much I put into my klr and how much I got it for, I could have a 990 ktm by now
And you would still have to add farkles & up-grades to that more expensive KTM!

You might inquire with @maverick9611 by PM (Private Message). He has run an Lectron carb on his 'Godzilla'. Click on his name.

Reactions: KlrNips

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And you would still have to add farkles & up-grades to that more expensive KTM!

You might inquire with @maverick9611 by PM (Private Message). He has run an Lectron carb on his 'Godzilla'. Click on his name.
Honestly it’s one of those bikes I’d keep pretty stock….maybe luggage and gps

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
No experience with the Lectron, but I struggle with the value proposition for KLR carb swaps - seems almost everyone whines about the cost of a decent shock that totally transforms the KLR yet some would spend as much or more on a carb swap that offers negligeable power increases? .....doesn't make sense to me. Unfortunately KLRChris's site is no more or I'd link his dyno testing and thoughts on the stock KLR CVK but to paraphrase, the CVK can flow more than a stock or mildly modified KLR can use.....the real bottlenecks are the airbox and head. Once jetted properly, the stock CVK works well and has the advantage of being largely self adjusting for altitude.

2 cents,
Dave

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
No experience with the Lectron, but I struggle with the value proposition for KLR carb swaps - seems almost everyone whines about the cost of a decent shock that totally transforms the KLR yet some would spend as much or more on a carb swap that offers negligeable power increases? .....doesn't make sense to me. Unfortunately KLRChris's site is no more or I'd link his dyno testing and thoughts on the stock KLR CVK but to paraphrase, the CVK can flow more than a stock or mildly modified KLR can use.....the real bottlenecks are the airbox and head. Once jetted properly, the stock CVK works well and has the advantage of being largely self adjusting for altitude.

2 cents,
Dave
True enough! And then, after four decades or more of production, cognoscenti tuners and aftermarket component manufacturers find subtle nuances in modifying the stock CVK40, with significant performance increases.

:)

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,418 Posts
KlrNips: listen to Dave and Damocles. The CVK is an excellent carb and has been used across many motorcycles for many years, including Harleys. And they are very easy to modify with just jets and needles. I’ve played with carbs on motorcycles, cars, lawnmowers, etc. for over 45 years, and I would not even vaguely think about swapping the CVK for a Lectron or Mikuni for real-world riding. IMO, the only place a flat-slide carb outperforms a CV carb is on a dyno chart. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts