Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed one of these to the LED brake light on my KLR:
LED Brake Stop Control Light Lamp Flasher Module Flash Strobe Controller 12V 24V | eBay

I know the price is a bit stiff for KLR but it works so well I'm willing to forgo the price of one donut.

FWIW, the box is about 7/8" x 1" x 1/2".

My LED tail light/brake light combination uses a common ground (negative wire so I just spliced the "V In" black to the " B OUT" black and connected those to the LED Light's ground and bike's Black/Yellow common ground. Tail light black + 2 Strobe Controller Black to bike's Black/Yellow.

The "V in red" goes to the harness brake light Blue wire harness plug. The "B OUT" red wire goes to the brake light Blue wire to the light.

I haven't tried this with a stock type incandescent bulb but will advise when get a chance.

It flashes rapidly for about 3 seconds, 4 one-second flashes, then steady on.

That makes modification #119. #120 will likely be the LED strip in the trunk lens when I get around to wiring it.

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Neat! More cool stuff on eBay than you can shake a stick at. Substantially cheaper than what I paid for my high zoot flashing taillight! :)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
.................I haven't tried this with a stock type incandescent bulb but will advise when get a chance. ................
The specs on the module say 0.8 to 1.2 amps. An 1157 incandescent bulb with 14 volts from the regulator pulls about 2.3 amps. It might be best to stick with the LED. Otherwise you may have to sacrifice another donut.

Out of curiosity, the notes on ebay say import duties are the buyers responsibility. Did you have to go to the customs office and sacrifice yet another innocent donut?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
These things just arrive in the mail with no attention, IME. I think the value is too small for customs to bother = would cost more than would collect.

I have paid import tax on some larger items. Almost all of the ABS modulators which I receive to repair from US and Europe come and go with no taxes. They are the property of the shipper and returned which seems OK with customs.

Forgot to mention: The part about using an incandescent bulb is, as the demo video alluded, the bulb just flickers during the four short timed pulses. The effect seems to be to delay the brake light coming on which is the reverse of what I want. I want the brake light coming on as soon as the lever moves so can flash the brake light to warn a following driver that I am about to brake when time allows. It also adds several seconds to their reaction time in either case.

The specs on the module say 0.8 to 1.2 amps. An 1157 incandescent bulb with 14 volts from the regulator pulls about 2.3 amps. It might be best to stick with the LED. Otherwise you may have to sacrifice another donut.

Out of curiosity, the notes on ebay say import duties are the buyers responsibility. Did you have to go to the customs office and sacrifice yet another innocent donut?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts