Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had anyone got one of these? i recently had my tail light bulb blow on me while i was about 200 miles from home. i managed to get a replacement from an AutoZone (5 minutes before they closed) and when i put it in i noticed for the first time how dim the tail light really is.

so, i'm either going to buy one of these LED boards:

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Brand/Kawasaki/klr_650_led_taillight.htm

or a 2357 bulb, which is supposedely brighter.

anyone done this? think its worth the 85$ for the LED?

thanks

-j

·
Registered
100 Posts
I like the dual star in the fact that it blinks the first few seconds the brake is pressed. Really stands out.

That $34 piece is tempting also.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Rear Light Modulating can be a sticky topic in some locales. I read numerous times where LEO's pulled over and cited M/C's for having such a device. Everytime I've read about this, it's claimed that only Police Vehicles can have flashing red lights. (This was used as their justification for the citation) Even the letter of the law states that there can be no "Forward Facing" flashing lights, the officers used their judgment on the spot for whatever reason. But as we all know, every jurisdiction is different. I'd just not want to find out first hand the wrong way.

Not wanting to be faced with being pulled over, and not knowing the exact stance my local offices choose, I opted to not be suckered into the Dual Star light for the modulating effect only. I wanted the brightest LED, and I believe I've got it now.

Down the road, if I felt I wanted to add a tail light modulating feature, I can get the "Back-Off" module and plug it inline with my regular taillight. I've seen them as cheap as $18-$20 before on e-bay.

So, even with a Back-Off tail light modulator, and the Radientz Cluster LED you still come out Cheaper and Brighter than the Dual Star board.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the DS flashing LED tail light and I really like it. I was sold on it when I went for a group ride with 6 other bikes, one of which had a Dual Star LED. The flashing light made it stand out dramatically from the rest - you just couldn't help having your attention drawn to that light. Huge safety advantage IMHO. When I am stopped in traffic and I see someone coming up behind me, I just release the brake and then re-apply, giving a fresh "burst" of blinking LED, just to make sure I don't end up as a hood ornament.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yeah, I think it's definately a good idea as a safety device... just not worth what Dual Star was charging when I was in the market last year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the flasher seems like a good idea in theory.. but i ride in NYC and spend far too much time in stop and go traffic. i think the flashing light might be more confusing to other drivers than anything else.. especially when i'm on and off the brakes every few seconds.

anyway, for 34$ i'm sold.

-j

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've bought lots of Dualstar's stuff, and I've had great service from them. But that light is in a funky X shape, and the flashing is illegal, so I'll pass on that.
I'm still waiting for someone to build a full square LED light on a circuit board that uses the whole KLR lens, and doesn't flash - which seems like a no-brainer. I just might have to build one of my own. I'm sure I can do it for less than half of what Dualstar wants for thier illegal light.

·
Registered
102 Posts
L.E.D. TAIL LIGHTS

I have the back Off modulator hooked up to my 3rd brake lite on my pick up. Three/four rapid flashes, a four second steady light, then three or four more flashes. It really works for me. I've been rear ended in a car real bad about 11 years ago. You just never really get over it. As far an my 07 KLY. I hard wired a 7 inch Grote L.E.D. in where the cheesy brake lite was, and put a L.E.D. lite bar under the luggage platform. It has stop and tail light functions also. Sorry no pics. yet. Digital camera coming in a few days. Then I'll need to hunt down a 3rd grader kid down the street to teach me how to down load the pictures here on the net.

The L.E.D lite on the bike is super. This thing lights up the rear of the bike like a pin ball machine in mating season. Pictures and part numbers promised

Bill

·
Registered
145 Posts
The flashing on the Dualstar unit can be turned off with a switch on the board. I have yet to be pulled over for it and have used it with many an officer behind me here in Montana..Doug

·
Registered
102 Posts
dougly said:
The flashing on the Dualstar unit can be turned off with a switch on the board. I have yet to be pulled over for it and have used it with many an officer behind me here in Montana..Doug
Thanks for the info dougly. I didn't know that you could shut off the flash. I rode awhile with a guy who had the dualstar light, and he wasn't aware that the flash could be shut off either...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yeah, there's a little tiny dip switch on the board. Easy to miss.

I seriously doubt Montana authorities are going to nit pick about something as trivial as that... after all, can't you ride a dirt bike in the streets there?

·
Registered
477 Posts
In parts of Idaho, you can license your atv's.......

·
Registered
145 Posts
Biker Scout said:
Yeah, there's a little tiny dip switch on the board. Easy to miss.

I seriously doubt Montana authorities are going to nit pick about something as trivial as that... after all, can't you ride a dirt bike in the streets there?
ATV also, as long as you have a license plate and lights on them. When gas prices were so high this summer a lot of people rode their atv's all over the place...Doug

·
Administrator
3,565 Posts
The Dual Star LED tail light is made in Canada by an outfit called Homebody Design or GizmoMill. I bought mine direct from them for quite a bit less than what DS charges. If you want to try and order from them don't bother with the email option as they don't normally respond. Telephone is best.

They also have LED signals.

http://www.homebody-design.com/

1 - 20 of 27 Posts