Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of these kits come with 2 or 4 resistors for a set up to be placed near the bulb, but couldn't you just get away with 1? You only have 1 flasher relay that starts the circuit before the turn signal switch. Why not just use 1 in the circuit near the relay before it ever gets to the switch? Does that make sense?

I'm going to be trying it here in a week or so, but I was just wondering.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind. I realize the resistor would have to be after the switch or it would always be drawing current.

·
Administrator
8,352 Posts
If you use a proper LED flasher you will not need the resistors. The resistors make the LED bulbs consume the same amount of power that incandescents do. The OEM flasher needs that load in order to work. An LED-ready flasher doesn't.

SuperBrightLEDs offer a plug 'n play flasher, as well as a non-polarized indicator bulb (so both sides don't flash at the same time). The flasher is the LF-S-1-FLT.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do I have to change out the indicator bulb with this flasher? Does it matter between the flat connector and the bullet terminal connector version?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just watched a video of one. That's amazing, I just ordered 3 of them for all my bikes so I can take out those resistors. Thanks a bunch. Here I was thinking my Gen1 was ahead of the wattage curve allowing me to get chargers, heated grips, aux lights, and maybe a heated jacket.

·
Administrator
8,352 Posts
When you are installing LED turn signals you need to do something to prevent the LEDs from seeing a path to ground through the indicator light. If they see that path then they will have current running through them and will operate. The usual symptom is that when you flip the turn signal switch in either direction both the right and left sides will flash.

You can either install diodes in the indicator circuit (messy) or install a non-polarized 194 LED bulb in place of the incandescent. I haven't looked at all of the 194 bulbs, but I think they are all non-polarized. You can check the specs, like for this one. Down in the specs where it says "Polarity Sensitive: No" is what you would be looking for. Note that this bulb may not be the one you want, but be careful as some of the 194 have a bigger head than the hole in the KLRs instrument cluster. You can get those in, but it's a bit of a wiggle.

All of this is independent of the flasher.

Are you doing this on your 2005 or 2012? The LF-S-1-FLT is a plug 'n play for the Gen 2. For the Gen 1 you could get this one or this one. I don't see why they would not work but do your research. The bullet type would also work, but you'd need to provide the connection. Don't get the blue one; I've had bad luck with it.

All of the info on the 194 applies to the Gen 2. The Gen 1 takes a #24 bulb and I don't see a non-polarized one. Never did turn signals on a Gen 1 so I'm not sure what the answer is. Is there anything in your kit?

·
Administrator
8,352 Posts
Sorry, I spent 30 minutes on the above, looking at various bulbs and such, and didn't see your post above mine.

Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
389 Posts
FWIW, this is what I did that works nicely on my Gen1.

I use an EP35 (Generic Part Number) Electronic Flasher. Google or Amazon are your friends. They can be found for less than $4.

I then bought a used (eBay), what Kawasaki variously calls a "Diode Unit" or just "Diode" Kawasaki Part Number 49018-105. It's actually a Diode Trio that is used in the KLR's Starter Interlock circuit. Anyhow I wired that (see attached diagram) using an LED (SuperBrightLED.com Part Number 24-AHD) for the Flasher Indicator so that it would work as well. The LED Bulb is a plug and play thing and the "Diode Unit" tucks in very nicely on the backside of and between the Speedometer and Tachometer.

·
Administrator
8,352 Posts
An excellent solution.

·
Registered
282 Posts
In this day and age, WHY aren't LED's standard equipment? To me it would be a no brainer, especially for this type of bike that people like to kit out with heated grips, jacket liners and extra running lights to offset it all with low current drawing bulbs. These days LED's are getting cheaper each day and why all the manufacturers are still putting the same old 55W headlights and other high draw incandescents in bikes with limited capacity charging systems and small reserve batteries is a mystery to me.

·
Registered
911 Posts
In this day and age, WHY aren't LED's standard equipment? To me it would be a no brainer, especially for this type of bike that people like to kit out with heated grips, jacket liners and extra running lights to offset it all with low current drawing bulbs. These days LED's are getting cheaper each day and why all the manufacturers are still putting the same old 55W headlights and other high draw incandescents in bikes with limited capacity charging systems and small reserve batteries is a mystery to me.
I'd bet it's all about money.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good stuff here. Yes I'm going to just install diodes inline instead of boring out a hole in the dash and swapping lights and stuff.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
FWIW, this is what I did that works nicely on my Gen1.

I use an EP35 (Generic Part Number) Electronic Flasher. Google or Amazon are your friends. They can be found for less than $4.

I then bought a used (eBay), what Kawasaki variously calls a "Diode Unit" or just "Diode" Kawasaki Part Number 49018-105. It's actually a Diode Trio that is used in the KLR's Starter Interlock circuit. Anyhow I wired that (see attached diagram) using an LED (SuperBrightLED.com Part Number 24-AHD) for the Flasher Indicator so that it would work as well. The LED Bulb is a plug and play thing and the "Diode Unit" tucks in very nicely on the backside of and between the Speedometer and Tachometer.
You could use this electronic flasher relay: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/electronic-led-flasher-relays-for-motorcycle/787/842/

and this diode kit: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/metric-bike-diode-kit/1190/2805/
See the wiring diagram farther down the page

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
The wiring diagram accessible from the link you provide above tells the story, GoMotor; how to make the dashboard indicator flash both right and left turn signal activation with LED turn signals.

The stock dashboard turn signal indicator light circuit reverses current (one way for a left turn, the opposite way for a right turn) through an incandescent bulb. With LED's, the indicator bulb only "sees" current when one direction is signaled; if the other direction is signaled, the dashboard indicator light sees nothing, because of the diode action of the LEDs on that side.

The diode kit, wired in as shown in the diagram, illuminates the dashboard turn signal light whether right or left turns are signaled with LED turn signals.

At least, I THINK that's how the scheme works! :)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The wiring diagram accessible from the link you provide above tells the story, GoMotor; how to make the dashboard indicator flash both right and left turn signal activation with LED turn signals.

The stock dashboard turn signal indicator light circuit reverses current (one way for a left turn, the opposite way for a right turn) through an incandescent bulb. With LED's, the indicator bulb only "sees" current when one direction is signaled; if the other direction is signaled, the dashboard indicator light sees nothing, because of the diode action of the LEDs on that side.

The diode kit, wired in as shown in the diagram, illuminates the dashboard turn signal light whether right or left turns are signaled with LED turn signals.

At least, I THINK that's how the scheme works! :)
I use a non polarized LED indicator in the dash. It works just like the stock bulb with stock incandescent signal bulbs. I don't know how it would work with low amp draw LED signal bulbs, but the diodes in the diagram mentioned above would solve the problem if there were one.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I'd add in a microchip that counts the flashes to the turn signal indicator bulb. Each time a signal is activated by the rider, it would start counting. Once the count gets above 50, it would connect a buzzer to the turn signal curcuit, thereby alerting the rider with a beep.

If at any time, the chip sees a pause of more than 5ms, it would reset the count to zero and wait for a new signal to start counting again.

At 1000 pulses detected, it could connect the secondary of the coil to seat.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd add in a microchip that counts the flashes to the turn signal indicator bulb. Each time a signal is activated by the rider, it would start counting. Once the count gets above 50, it would connect a buzzer to the turn signal curcuit, thereby alerting the rider with a beep.

If at any time, the chip sees a pause of more than 5ms, it would reset the count to zero and wait for a new signal to start counting again.

At 1000 pulses detected, it could connect the secondary of the coil to seat.
That would actually be really easy to do with an Aurdino. How much you think people would pay for that?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Lol. I’d buy a kit.

I’m forgetting to turn them off all the time since my Goldwing has self cancel.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How about just a big azz flashing light on the dash? 500 lumen LED ran off a relay powered by the signal flasher.

·
Registered
911 Posts
That would actually be really easy to do with an Aurdino. How much you think people would pay for that?
More than what it would cost to build it.
:)

I may make one for the V1

1 - 20 of 31 Posts