Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been having leg cramps in my upper legs. Does anyone have leg cramps and what do you do to prevent/relieve them? Looking for solutions YOU personally have used that have worked.
Regards....justjeff

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
So I have been having leg cramps in my upper legs. Does anyone have leg cramps and what do you do to prevent/relieve them? Looking for solutions YOU personally have used that have worked.
Regards....justjeff
Sadly I don't have any remedies for the cramps other than trying to weight them and walk it off, but I definitely feel your pain! I get them regularly in my calves, feet, and occasionally in my upper legs. Seems worse if I've really been using the muscles, like climbing scaffold and lot's of walking. Mine seem to have started after I began taking a medication for high cholesterol, but that might have been a coincidence? Seems worse too if I get a little dehydrated, so make sure you drink lot's of water. Aint no fun, that's for sure! :(

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Stew,
My sympathy to you as well!
I usually get mine after a session of strenuous use as well. I do extreme Quadding. You are off and on the machine a lot clearing deadfall, winching through holes and such. It seems the act of continuously lifting my legs over the seat while climbing on and off strains muscles not normally used much. It is always the same muscles inside the upper legs.
I drink lots, eat bananas, get lots of calcium nothing seems to help....

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hmmm. Maybe try adding Gatorade to the mix.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Hmmm. Maybe try adding Gatorade to the mix.
I'll second That!
I get cramps in the arches of my feet and my ankles and my calves, while I am sleeping! All three at once!
First relief is cautiously roll out of bed and gently walk it off!

Local pharmacists says, preventative medicine is more Water thru the day and electrolytes half an Hour before bedtime. Pint to a Quart!

Yes, it helps. But only is you remember. I'm still finding my triggers/limits.
Well, the Gatorade will help, "after the fact" also, but it takes a bit to get back to sleep.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I get it. Try pedialyte. Packs way more punch without the sugar, packs lighter. And I stand on my pegs a lot when my legs cramp up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Leg Cramps

Thinking outside of the box...here is a solution I have personally used to reduce or eliminate leg cramps. I know this sounds weird but it is cheap so why not give it a try.

Place a heavy fragrant soap at the bottom of your bed, I have used Ivory. I recommend, under the top sheet just at the bottom. I replace the bar of soap every other sheet change. I know this isn't a scientific test but it has helped 3 other people that I personally know...

I know, I know...sounds stupid, but it may work...

Why Does Soap Soothe Nighttime Leg Cramps? - The People's Pharmacy

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I won't scoff at ANYTHING! The cramping is the most severe pain I have ever felt. Whatever works is fine by me!
It doesn't happen when I am sleeping and usually happens only in one leg at a time. One time it went for nearly two hours stopping and starting again.
JJ

·
Registered
22 Posts
Drinking dill pickle juice can offer fast relief due to the high sodium content. I've tried it in the past and it works pretty well. Also eating a banana can sometimes help because of the potassium they contain. Both have worked for me. Good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Eat a banana or two before bed especially if you have been overworking the muscles. Anything with a high potassium amount will reduce muscle cramps significantly.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
The pickle juice is an interesting one, I've read up on it a little and there's actually a ton of stuff you can use it for. And I was throwing it out after finishing the last pickle!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Drinking dill pickle juice can offer fast relief due to the high sodium content. I've tried it in the past and it works pretty well. Also eating a banana can sometimes help because of the potassium they contain. Both have worked for me. Good luck!
Good advice. Someone tried to market a pickle sports drink. And bananas, can't go wrong. Even come wrapped.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I get my cramps both at night, and riding. If I'm going on a ride, especially in colder weather, I rub my thighs with "Asper Cream" ( You can get it at pharmacies ) It helps both at night, and on rides. Lasts several hours. Asper Cream is not sticky, and there's no smell, like other rubs.
BTW: If you get shoulder pain from riding, it will help there too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts