Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my headlight relay kit, but I got a burr bothering me the other day for even more light, so I started doing some research.. I thought about going to the Vision X LED's, and then was told about a guy on ADV with some that use even less juice, throw more light, and cost less..

Am I happy??

Very Happy!!!
I ordered them from ADVMONSTER.com, and if you want to read abou them, check out this topic on the Vendor forum on ADVrider.. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607184

Ordered last Sunday night.. Order filled almost faster than I could click the button on Paypal..

Finally got a chance to install tonight.. I decided to add some light to the KLR.. I already have an Easter Beaver Relay kit in it, which really helped the light issue but I decided to go with these since I plan on playing after dark in the U.P. this summer..

Installed em' on the fairing support.. Didn't have to drill anything.. Stainless screws were already there from my headlight guard..

Also, I got one of the flood and one spot, and wired them into my high beam circuit... Too damned bright to use with oncoming traffic, and I just wanted them for when I'm all that's on the road, or trail.

Anyway, here's the photos..

After install..

High beam (damn, that headlight's yellow)

Against the garage.. 45 minutes before sunset, cloudy..

Again, very, very happy!!!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Those are sweet!

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Very nice and the price is half of what I was looking at buying. Have you had them on a dark road yet?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you had them on a dark road yet?
Just stepped in from a quick trip around the block.. Almost dark right now, and all I could do is giggle.. They're amazing!!

The only issue is that they're SO BRIGHT, that when you switch to low beam, your eyes are adjusted to the very bright light and the low beam seems like it's a crappy flashlight..

I wasn't unhappy with my stocker headlight with the Easter Beaver mod, but now it's like the headlight is just there to make the bike legal.. The real light is from the LED's..

I lit up 6 consectutive blocks worth of stop signs like they were powered.. It only lit 6 because there wasn't a 7th..:)

The last time I had light like this was on my old R1100R BMW that had some super bright PIAA spots on it..

Again.. I giggled..:) Out loud..

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The flood just turns the sun on around you.. The spot just reaches out forever!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I wasn't unhappy with my stocker headlight with the Easter Beaver mod, but now it's like the headlight is just there to make the bike legal.. The real light is from the LED's.. IQUOTE]

Yeah, I had the same reaction on the 09 after the LED's were installed.
I thought the KLR stock lamps were a big improvement over the Airhead BMW's. Then I turned on the LED's. Yipes! Why did you go with putting them on in conjunction with the hi-beams? I've got a separate switch on mine....which I'm going to relocate.

Mac

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why did you go with putting them on in conjunction with the hi-beams? I've got a separate switch on mine....which I'm going to relocate.

Mac
I didn't want to mess around with two switches when meeting a car.. My BMW had 2 switches and the entire time I owned it, I wanted to switch the PIAA's so they only came on when I had my High Beam on.. So this time I wired it that way..

My low beam's pretty bright during daylight, so I don't run high beam during daylight hours. The only time I run high beam is at night, on open road when I'm looking out for 4 legged creatures to avoid. Now I'll have daylight to see Bambi and her freinds.. :49:

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Very nice setup. Thanks for including the link. I ride a lot of roads where there aren't any cars, but there are a lot of critters. These are roads where the farther you can see down them, the better.

Lights are always in the back of my mind and I'm hoping within the next year or so to be able to put a set on and will definitely consider these. A low balance in the KLR Fund and my general ineptitude with electricity and wiring stand in the way. I've got a electrical guru at work who said he'd help me. I'm always afraid I'll hook something up wrong and burn something out or set it on fire.

I really like the combination of the flood and spot and since I won't encounter many (if any) oncoming cars while using them, would probably just go with the high beam switch like you did.

Your whole rig is nice. Thanks for telling us about the lights and enjoy them!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Is one of those lights really $70 and the other $110??

Guess I will just get two spots.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will these lights work with the stock electrical system?
Jake,
They're just 12v lights that will work with any 12v system..

Yeah, the flood was pricey, but it lights up the area closer to the bike like crazy, while still tossing out decent light out a ways..
The spot doesn't throw out much light to the side..

I kinda cringed at the price, until I checked out what similar PIAA's go for. If I were to get just one, it would be the more expensive flood light..

Now to get a chance to ride.. I've been gone all week for work and it's supposed to be cold and raining all weekend..:( 50's for a high and raining isn't much fun..

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hey,
I have these sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. Any chance you could type up a description of how you wired them up??

I would like them wired to only come one when the key is turned, I guess like the way you have it (although I would like the option of turning them off and still have the high beam on. That's just the way I have lights wired on my Bandit.)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Your Dakar sticker is so "official", I mean, it really looks bad ass.

Nice lights too.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm on my way into work at a paper mill in MN, but I'll type something up tonight..

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok..
First of all, I'm not running standard wiring to my headlight.. I have an Eastern Beaver relay kit in there. Stock wiring is extremely restricted by both wire size and switches.. The relay kit runs full power through heavy wire, straight from the battery to the headlight, and the high/low beam switch runs the relay.

That said, I wouldn't run these lights on the stock wires..

Anyway, I just spliced into my high beam wire to the headlight, and ran a seperate ground wire. The wire in the Eastern Beaver kit is big enough for all the lights, and they get full voltage, too..

·
Registered
562 Posts
Well, I guess I should order one of those kits. I need to hard wire my GPS and eventually get my heated grips on as well.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts