Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everbody! I have a klr that is the same age as me...and at born at 86/87we aren`t that young :D
But I would like to make it a bit more efortless to ride. I have an alu handlebar and new grips already, but the clutch action leaves something to be desired...it`s loose and notchy and if I`ll be working on it this winter I could make some upgrade.
Also separate mounts for mirrors maybe? Could I swap over something like a zx6r clutch lever and mount?
Tire Cloud Wheel Plant Sky

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, bike is mostly stock so cable operated. I just thought that there may be like a go to solution, bit I guess I`ll just play by ear ;)
Also, I`ll be rebuilding the carb during the winter, but the bike is a bitch to start when cold, valves are in check. The choke cable lever is broke so its hard to modulate, but still during the winter 3/5 I will drain the battery before it starts.
Also some mofo stole the seat of it last week...couldn`t belive it. All I could find is as replacement is was so now it`s all red!!! :)

· Premium Member
12,557 Posts
Hey, bike is mostly stock so cable operated. I just thought that there may be like a go to solution, bit I guess I`ll just play by ear ;)
The cut/extended/welded "twinheadlight erni" clutch arm on the clutch cover is the Cheap "go to solution" that you are looking for.
CLICK on that "POST PAGE" up above, if you haven't already.

Do you know a welder?

Or you could purchase a more expensive Magura Hydraulic lever & hose assembly.

· Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,875 Posts
KLRian, what year is your bike? I ask because sometime in the 90’s kaw changed the clutch cover, and the clutch release shaft and lever. The earliest version had a lever that came up a half inch or so, then bent over parallel where the cable attaches. So there’s a fair amount you can unbend to get a longer lever. The later Gen1’s and all Gen2’s and 3’s didn’t bend up as far, so you can’t unfold the lever to gain much length.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts