Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here tried the lexx from Rocky mountain atv? I like the price but wasn't something that is not going to be loud.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
From what I recall they are loud.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Do a forum search for Lexx and you'll get some hits with info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any recommendations on a slip on that isn't loud. Im looking more to just get rid of the looks of the stock exhaust. I don't Mind a nice throaty sound just not mx race bike loud

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
BMW does not stand for bring my wallet it stands for Bring More Wallet (much more wallet:)

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I have a FMF exhaust on my KLR and it is not too loud. Somewhere between the BMW and the Harley, but no where as loud as the Harley.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Do you need to repack the FMF?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The Lexx is great. Do a search on here and you will see I have talked about it in the past. It has a quiet insert which I use. It is about the same loudness as the frugle exhaust mod.
If you want it even more quite they sell a turn down tip for the Lexx.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If I was in the market for an exhaust I would be considering the Leo Vince or the Stain Tune.
that's interesting, i was just recently looking at the Leo and was told by my Canadian supplier that they've gone bankrupt....

wouldn't mind the stain tune but my wallet has me leaning towards the FMF or Vance & Hines...

·
Registered
22 Posts
FYI, Leo Vince USA is no longer. Had an X3 on order since last December from Happy Trails and finally LV USA called it quits due to LV Italy not supporting them. LV Italy plant closed and apparently moved operations to an existing factory in Poland. Basically LV Italy left LV USA high & dry. Happy Trails came up with an offer for customers on back order for a replacement Pro Circuit T5 which has apparently been modified for the KLR. They are selling it for $450.00 or so but offered it to those of us who had the LV on back order for $350.00 so I took the deal.

Got the pipe today and installed it. Bike ran great with it and it is a bit louder than stock but is a nice low rumble. Don't think I'll have to rejet since bike ran great with little to no popping on decel. There was some confusion as to whether the T5 needs re-packing. Happy Trails said no repacking required but the ad copy stated there was internal packing. The pipe does not seem to have any packing or any way to replace it since it appears to be a closed system.

So, the main reasons I wanted the Leo Vince were improved sound, looks, no rejetting and no repacking. Seems like that is what I got. As far as power improvement, the slip on pipes really do not add much without additional mods from what I understand.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
that's interesting, i was just recently looking at the Leo and was told by my Canadian supplier that they've gone bankrupt....

wouldn't mind the stain tune but my wallet has me leaning towards the FMF or Vance & Hines...
Hmmm. didn't know that but interesting that you can put it in the cart and proceed to Checkout on the USA site. Does say It may be back ordered.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I to am hoping to not have to rejet. I have the .22 mod and am hoping if I go with a non race slip on with spark arrestor I should be able to get Away with it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I run the Lexx with the 22 cent mod. Home is at 5800 elevation, bike has very little backfire when cold. The more the packing goes away, the louder it gets, the more I like it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have 1 shim and the air screw at 1.75 turns. I'm at sea level where the humidity is about 213% and the mosquitos are as big as a small Cessna.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I am running the .22 mod with Lexx with no problem.

·
Registered
368 Posts
. . . Pro Circuit T5 . . .

There was some confusion as to whether the T5 needs re-packing. Happy Trails said no repacking required but the ad copy stated there was internal packing. The pipe does not seem to have any packing or any way to replace it since it appears to be a closed system.
Excuse me for "piping up" up here where you'se guys talk about modern KLRs.

The stock KLR muffler has a thin layer of dense packing in the "first chamber". No way to repack. I have opened other exhausts and found dense, non-replaceable packing.

SO the Pro Circuit T5 could very well have packing but not need repacking.

EDIT: Wait! HT lists the Pro Circuit T5 for youse modern KLRs but not for 1st gen? I hadn't realized that there were any different dimensions on exhaust.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Grinnin, thanks for your reply. I was told by a very respected member (who I greatly respect as well) from another forum that the T5 will need to be repacked even though the end cap is riveted on (he has done this several times). He said to repack I would have to drill out the rivets and replace with stainless steel rivets. Sounds like a pain in the butt since I do not know how to rivet and have never done this before. Guess I'll see how it goes and if I need to I'll learn......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts