Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Know this issue has been dealt with ad nauseam, but usually I see the plate ends up relocated on top of the rear fender.

My plan ... (bike out of town, will do it once I reunite with it) ... is to use the stock license plate bracket mounting it under the fender, at its lowest point so that the plate will not cover the fender and act as a mud flap as well.

I see this location on many off road bikes, not bad.

Once done will follow up with images.

Here some photos showing the idea, got the photo from the internet, that same bracket installed "under" the fender, the plate will bolt on to it from underneath. 馃憤馃憤

No need for anything new, the stock bracket should suffice. Yellow dot shows intended area where to bolt on the stock plate bracket.

The other photo shows the idea.

Perhaps someone did it already, if were the case share some images
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Plumbing fixture Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire

Registered
I mounted mine like the top pic and also added a light for the plate. I did not want any chance of the plate getting hit by the rear tire.......and as far as mud have not had anything really kicked up now that the factory mud flap was taken off.

Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Went to the dealer today to pick up a couple bolts I ordered. Took a photo of the tail piece of the 2022 KLR.

Looks like it has no fender, just a mud flap kind of a tail piece.

Glad to be able to take my mud flap in place off and still have a fender, the 2022 guys will have a tough job to work out
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Premium Member
Maybe they can mount the plate to the rear carrier lip, then turn the license light upside-down?
Mount the side reflector bracket to the lower holes in the license plate?
Then hot-knife/saw the lower fender off just below the rear reflector and still be 100% legal in all 50 states?

Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As said before there are weeks between my bike and I reuniting. Anyways still brainstorming about this relocation. As seen in these photos I see most of the relocated license plates I see are installed high on the fender, close to the tail light.

After seeing several off road bikes I think it would look better lower on the fender. The bracket as seen on these 2 photos could be installed lower, by where the yellow dot is showing on the black rear fender

Added feature of having the plate in that position would be that the plate could act as a real mud guard. I know many say no need for a mud guard and such but there is never too much guard on a muddy road or rainy day. It would work "in case"

The stock bracket could go on top of the fender as shown, or reversed, at yellow dot location but under the fender , in this way not covering the fender at all

馃憤馃憤

Automotive tire Hood Fender Plant Motor vehicle
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Bumper Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

1 - 6 of 6 Posts