Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding street bikes over 40 years. The KLR I bought last month is my first dual sport. Didn't buy it so much for off road single track as for exploring the many miles of unpaved roads we have in our area. I still have a FJR for the paved trips and I intend to ride the KLR about 50/50 paved/unpaved.
I've been getting the feel of the bike on several local dirt and gravel roads and am probably slower than anyone else on this board. Last week I got passed by a pickup with a big dog in the back giving me the "I'm glad I'm not as slow as you " look.

·
Registered
901 Posts
What part of Utah are you located in? I'm out in Tooele - so if you're ever up for a ride, send me a message and we'll see if we can work out a time / place.

By the way, I don't use my KLR for single track either - mainly for the ATV trails and dirt roads...and commuting to/from work of course.

·
Lifetime Member
2,486 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums! :)

The KLR is the ideal type of bike for that kind of exploring. With it's tractor like torque it doesn't mind cruising along at a slower pace. Personally, I like to ride a little slower in new areas, gives me a chance to check out the scenery.

Tons of knowledgeable folks here to help answer any question that you might have about the bike, also an excellent archive of info if you search the forum.

Again, welcome and ride safe! :bike:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What part of Utah are you located in? I'm out in Tooele - so if you're ever up for a ride, send me a message and we'll see if we can work out a time / place.

By the way, I don't use my KLR for single track either - mainly for the ATV trails and dirt roads...and commuting to/from work of course.
I live down in Cedar City. Easy access to desert or mountain roads. I doubt if I will ever ride the KLR up to Tooele but thanks for the offer. If you're ever down this way, give me a shout.

·
Premium Member
5,560 Posts
Eh, you're probably no slower than me, cedarider. Your skill and confidence will increase as you continue to ride those roads and trails. Unlike Maverick, I have never felt The Need For Speed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I Love that country out there Cedarider. You are very fortunate. From here it's about an hour to get to really good m/c roads. Don't sell the KLR short on longer distance rides. I did something several yrs. ago that I can't do with my FJR. I rode 735 mi in one day. Granted the notoriously uncomfortable stock seat on the FJR has not been replaced as per my Sargent seat on the KLR, but all in all doing half that distance would be a breeze.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Not only welcome to KLRforum.com but watch your street skills improve
as you learn to kick the KLR around in the dust a bit!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I Love that country out there Cedarider. You are very fortunate. From here it's about an hour to get to really good m/c roads. Don't sell the KLR short on longer distance rides. I did something several yrs. ago that I can't do with my FJR. I rode 735 mi in one day. Granted the notoriously uncomfortable stock seat on the FJR has not been replaced as per my Sargent seat on the KLR, but all in all doing half that distance would be a breeze.
I've only lived out here 3 years but I love it. Tons of scenic dirt roads without even leaving the county.
I still have the stock seat on mine but have already noticed it can be a limiting factor on longer rides. I have the Sargent on my FJR. Which Sargent do you have on your KLR?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts