Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 13,800 miles I did the doo, oil change, new chain & sprockets, air filter and balanced the rear tire. What a difference. Kind of wish I hadn't done all at once so I could tell if one thing made more than another. Don't think the PO ever changed the air filter. I know the chain and sprockets were stock, went 16/43. And it took 2.5 oz to balance the tire. I can see what's in my mirrors now! Before things vibrated enough it was a blur.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
78 Posts
Congrats man...I did pretty much the same things with the same result. I can tell you that from all the things I did the chain and sprockets made the most difference, although that seems like alot of weight to balance the rear tire. No doubt that made a big difference in the vibration. I may have my tires balanced when I get my next rear tire. Did you pay someone to do it or did you do it yourself?

Edit: I haven't done the doo yet. I ordered it last week and it should be here soon. I know it needs it because I can hear some clattering in there when I gun it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Congrats!
2.5 oz isn't that much if you're counterbalancing a rim clamp.
I put a 16 on last week and I really like it. I don't use my KLR for aggressive offroad riding, so for me, it fits the bike perfectly.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sheddster, I did all the work at a friends shop who rebuilds and resells vintage bikes. He has a balancer, and a lift which is great for those of us in the prime of life! My doo looked fine, the spring was a bit stretched but didn't seem that bad to me, I had the parts so I replaced them and don't have to think about it anymore. I was appalled at the condition of the air filter and think performance wise that made a huge difference. I have had the bike just over 2 months and put a little over 1500 miles on it. It is the perfect Vermont/New England bike.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
At 13,800 miles I did the doo, oil change, new chain & sprockets, air filter and balanced the rear tire. What a difference. Kind of wish I hadn't done all at once so I could tell if one thing made more than another. Don't think the PO ever changed the air filter. I know the chain and sprockets were stock, went 16/43. And it took 2.5 oz to balance the tire. I can see what's in my mirrors now! Before things vibrated enough it was a blur.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

Do the .22 mod and get back to us on the difference!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts