Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been looking to expand a little on my carrying abilities and I was looking at hard luggage options that would fit a helmet plus a small camera bag (body plus 2 lenses and a few batteries). I see plenty that are helmet sized, some that are two helmet sized like the Givi Outback 58 but I wasn't sure how that would work out on a KLR. Looks pretty yuge even on a GS in pictures.

I mean really, I guess if I could securely store the helmet then I wouldn't need one that large but I haven't seen too many options on that which I like. Rarely would I ever have a desire to lock my helmet up except when I run errands...where I live I doubt anyone would touch it but when I go into town...I definitely would like to keep the camera up top regardless just because it's too delicate to bang around in my soft saddle bags.

Any recommendations on something in between in size or experience with the Givi Outback 58L? I see Touratech has one of similar size but it's a good bit more expensive than the givi option.

I did come across some threads using pelican-like cases which could work too but I'd want to make it quick release...

·
Registered
2022 KLR 650 Pearl Sand Khaki
139 Posts
Are you looking for a soft bag or for a hard case? You have lots of options besides Givis. Marsee, Nelson Rigg etc.
a 58 L is very large. Did you consider using a tank bag for the camera?

·
Administrator
4,533 Posts
Givi has a lot of size options. The Outback is an aluminum case I believe. Are you wanting aluminum? Otherwise a Givi plastic Monolock case may be an option. Again lots of sizes to chose from at varying price points.

·
Registered
177 Posts
get the largest one you can, you won't notice it when you're riding unless you have something really heavy inside.

i have an old givi maxia like this. after loosing it on the freeway one rainy day (patched it up after a truck hit it and cracked the lid), i added a bolt through the bottom with a wing nut so i can remove without tools. the latch at the back can wear allowing this "self jettisoning" feature...
Automotive lighting Bumper Luggage and bags Automotive exterior Gas

·
Premium Member
2002 gen 1 street-ized commuter special--Flatland Flyer--
133 Posts
comie from amazon for cheap..uhh inexpensive and quick release under 100.00 shadusa for quick release better quality lesser expensive than givi 50L holds helmet and riding gear...plus...

·
Premium Member
2022 KLR Adventure
521 Posts
comie from amazon for cheap..uhh inexpensive and quick release under 100.00 shadusa for quick release better quality lesser expensive than givi 50L holds helmet and riding gear...plus...
Comie Motorcycle Tour Tail Box Trunk Luggage Top Lock Storage Carrier Case w/soft backrest&handle - 48L Capacity - Can Store Helmet (Gray) https://a.co/d/ckIcC8z

·
Registered
76 Posts
You might consider this alternative which allows one to "hang" and secure the helmet via its D rings...thus freeing up space in the top case.

I have on couple of the bikes and it is handy indeed and not very expensive OR maybe a bit expensive for what you get...I think they work well and worth it.
Granted, your helmet is exposed..and have heard at least one horror story of some low life cutting the Strap and taking helmet...of course rendering it useless or maybe just a D**k move?
Then again, those thermoplastic injected top boxes, the latches are not that secure...guess the old saying runs true...if someone wants it bad enough...they will get it / locks are to keep honest folks honest..

Comie..hhaha..man, I think they could have done better on a name?
maybe pronounced different that it looks...?
Just struck me as funny...moving on...

Still, it looks like a decent box, just big for my tastes, but of course to each their own.
Of course YOU know what you need.
I have seen some bikes with the top boxes HUGE..and to be fair..I have one I can use if need..it is actually a rigid plastic box..to big for me for casual rides..taking a long trip..maybe..

I use an Emgo (thermoplastic injection box) on my KLR for the 'round town and local stuff..I like the size, not too big..not too small...
Got it off Amazon, years ago..saw it the other day back ..in stock..price up..to around 90 bucks...

Speaking for myself..the bigger the top box, the more I am tempted to pack in...and of course, big weight up high not so good..

just my two cents..

Good luck on your search

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Gen 3
154 Posts
I bought this one back in May and holds my XL full face HJC helmet, gloves, and travel mug. When the helmet's not in it, it holds my large Stanley all metal lunch box and a medium sized Stanley thermos. It's a quick disconnect if you need to remove the case. It's not obnoxiously big.

B29NT2 29LTR MONOLOCK TECH CASE – giviusa

1 - 10 of 10 Posts