Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive my KLR everywhere, including 2-4 hour (one way) trips every weekend. I am tired of strapping a briefcase to my bike when I go on those trips, and would also like a space to carry day to day items. I am in college, and college kids like to mess things up and steal whatever they can, so I need a tail bag that has locking capabilities and is able to be very firmly attached to the bike so it will deter most common thiefs. Waterproof would be a huge plus, but it's not necessary. This KLR is my first bike, so I know very very little about the technical terms and slang for bike parts and companies. So, can you reccomend a tail bag for me? Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I believe what you are looking for is a top box. Some are meant to be a permanent fixture (bolted on) others use a attachment system that lets you remove the box when you want. Buy something worthwhile not one of the cheapies you find on Ebay, it will be well worth the investment. Size in an important thing also, something you can put your helmet in when off the bike. I'm a huge GIVI fan (they may seem pricy but worth the investment) but there are many choices out there, everyone has their personal favorites. Simply do an internet search for motorcycle top box and you will find many, many options.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've asked this question more than once Donovan, never got a recommendation of what the others might be using.
I'd sure be interested in what you come up with, I take my daughter everywhere on my KLR and need a box with a backrest.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
We run Givi TRK 46's (can be used as a side case or top box) with the E581 adapter plate, bought them as a pair so they are keyed the same. I have a backrest on mine, the wife does not ... Since the boxes will never be used as side cases I have the TRK52N rack on both (its the rack for the 52 liter top case) ...

·
Administrator
3,677 Posts
GIVI makes a wide range of top boxes in varying sizes and prices. I'm sure if you check them out you'll find something to suit your requirements. Use one myself so my recommendation has experience.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Caribou Cases

I have Caribou Cases top case and side cases on my bike. Have worked very well for me in all kinds of rain, including 13 straight days of rain on my Alaska trip. No leaks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Tank bag alternative

I've got a fairly large "SHAD" top box and base fitted to my 1988 KLR650.
I used to use the top box quite a lot but now with my advancing years It's difficult to swing my leg over the tall box when dismounting.
I'm now thinking about buying a "Tank Bag" after seeing DPelletier's great photo of his bike with a tank bag fitted.

Most of the eBay KLR650 tank bags look really good but only appear on eBay USA, but as always the shipping from the USA to Spain cost more that the item you wish to buy :frown2:

I'm now looking at universal tank bags that are fitted with magnets. These are a fraction of the price than those mentioned above with reasonable shipping charges from European sellers.

If he picks up on this post, how does DPelletier fix his tank bag to a plastic tank??? :grin2:

James.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tail Box is really only one component you have to consider, Mounting the box to something you can slide off when you want is very convenient. I'm considering ordering a pelican with a BRE locking slide plate, you might check them out.
Back Road Equipment LLC There are others and I'm sure as good, for me it was pricing. I currently use a Rigid tool box but if I take my bike down town I really need to lock it up. I've been thinking about this system for a long time, price was the issue since the Rigid was only $29.

·
Registered
21 Posts
MCM Electronics sells some nice waterproof cases in a variety of sizes that are similar to Pelicans but cheaper.
You have to fabricate your own mounting though.
Installation is only limited by your creativity and mechanical ability.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I'm now looking at universal tank bags that are fitted with magnets. ..............
I will caution against a tank bag with magnetic mounts. I tied one a long time ago. When the bag is moved around, especially to get to the tank filler cap, the grit accumulated under the magnets is scraped across the paint and causes very obvious scratches. I put mine in the trash can.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Tail Box is really only one component you have to consider, Mounting the box to something you can slide off when you want is very convenient. I'm considering ordering a pelican with a BRE locking slide plate, you might check them out.
Back Road Equipment LLC There are others and I'm sure as good, for me it was pricing. I currently use a Rigid tool box but if I take my bike down town I really need to lock it up. I've been thinking about this system for a long time, price was the issue since the Rigid was only $29.
As I mentioned I've already got a locking "Top Box" that mounts on the rear carrier.
Four years ago a 2nd. time drunk driver smashed into my car and damaged two of my lower vertebrae. (he got two years in prison BTW). This now prevents me from lifting my leg over the top box to dismount :frown2:

GoMotor Yes, I've read that these magnet tank bags can be trouble, sometimes the magnets are too weak so the bag moves around a lot.
I take your point about grit getting under the bag and scratching the tank, so I will put something akin to a sheepskin saddle numnah underneath. I suppose too I can put the more powerful Earth magnets in place of standard magnets! This then raises the possibility of attracting close-by iron and steel objects and also setting off alarms in stores when shopping.

I'll probably just rely on some decent straps that I can attach to the handlebars and around the tank.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can buy any size of Caribou, Storm or Pelican case you want. Just find the right size and order a mount from some motorcycle vendor. Cases from Pelican-Case.com

I would order the one I posted earlier to have a locking removable option because sometimes you'll want to take the case with you instead of putting every thing into a garbage bag to take with you. I'm there doing that right now... I need to order one myself :-(

·
Registered
92 Posts
You can buy any size of Caribou, Storm or Pelican case you want. Just find the right size and order a mount from some motorcycle vendor. Cases from Pelican-Case.com

I would order the one I posted earlier to have a locking removable option because sometimes you'll want to take the case with you instead of putting every thing into a garbage bag to take with you. I'm there doing that right now... I need to order one myself :-(
Thanks again for the link with those great options, but as mentioned due to a spinal injury I just can't dismount if there is anything above saddle height located on the luggage carrier hence looking at a tank bag.

James.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts