Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forums. I bought an 85 klr 600 3 weeks ago and within a week some scumbag stole it. After a week of nothing I knew I had to get another one or be consumed with rage. So I just got a 97 klr 650. I have a super-think lock on the chain itself because it fits perfectly on there and I figure there's no way to roll it off like that. Since its so snug it would be very hard to cut this thing with bolt cutters. I also have it chained with a small bike chain to a fixture on my house. Do you guys have any great locking suggestions? When I turn the wheel to set the ignition fork locks the brake light stays on. Is that normal? Seems stupid if so. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You are turning the key too far. The last position gives you a parking light.

Good question.

I may locate and disable the parking light on mine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I'd love to have that lock set where even if they did cut the other locks the bike fork is locked at an angle and it would be that much more protection. But since the light stays on that will run the battery down and only attract thieves who see the light on and think someone left the key in it. Just doesn't make sense. I thought it was a short with my bike or something.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Like Ham! said, you're turning your key too far..
Go out and try it again, but if you look at your ignition switch, there's 2 clicks when you lock your fork.. One just locks, and one locks and turns on your running light.. First click is where you want it..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh duh, guess I didn't understand that. My ignition is not in good shape and its hard to read anything on it. And its hard to turn. I'll go do that now!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep that did it. :oops:
After waking up and looking out the window to see your bike gone every step I can take to protect this one only helps me sleep better at night.
Thx alot for the help.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
MAybe you should do what people in London, OH do. They drive the bike into the apartment at night and park it in the living room. :lol:

·
Registered
66 Posts
MAKE IT TOO MUCH OF A PAIN

I made the mistake of letting my cousin borrow my Aprilia. It was parked in a gated apartment complex. Ignition was locked, front disc brake lock on, covered, and it still disappeared. The problem with my former Aprilia and the KLR is the light weight -- light enough to be picked up and pushed into a van by two guys. You will NEVER stop a professional from getting your bike, but you can make it annoying enough for someone to look elsewhere. Disc locks are good start, and they are small enough to carry so you can use them all the time. Locking the bike to a solid object is a big help (where possible). Parking in a well lit area is always a good idea. As mentioned, I think if you can run it up into your place or on a patio it will be a good deterrent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sort of off topic but WHY is that last lock position there to conveniently drain one's battery after forgetting to check that it wasn't engaged? It must be a legal requirement somewhere, because it's just too inane to have on most street bikes otherwise. But so far as I know there's no requirement for it in my state.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Bike locks are covered extensively over at WebBikeWorld.com

For me, I can't figure out why a thief would want to steal a KLR. Any criminal that makes a career out of stealing and pawning would know that the KLR doesn't have as much desire for the bike as a whole or the sum of it's parts. I guess parting the pieces out on e-bay is a way to make money, but who'd want to be that fence? Take way too long to recoup your time.

Bike locks are just there to keep Honest People Honest. Some areas are tougher than others, I'd agree... but a KLR? :roll:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts