Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my bike new in 1989 while in the navy in San Diego. It was the perfect vehicle for a single sailor living in the barracks. I put most of the 10,000+ miles I have on it in the first two years. I've had this bike for 19 years now and I've put about $1,100 into it in all that time. This bike rocks!

I'm currently living in Romeoville, IL, about 30 miles outside Chicago. I'm looking forward to riding this year, the KLR gets 57mpg and my Dakota gets 15! At $3.50 a gallon.... well, you do the math.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Welcome to the forum... Go Navy!

Long time family members out of S.D.

MB4

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought my bike new in 1989 while in the navy in San Diego. It was the perfect vehicle for a single sailor living in the barracks. I put most of the 10,000+ miles I have on it in the first two years. I've had this bike for 19 years now and I've put about $1,100 into it in all that time. This bike rocks!

I'm currently living in Romeoville, IL, about 30 miles outside Chicago. I'm looking forward to riding this year, the KLR gets 57mpg and my Dakota gets 15! At $3.50 a gallon.... well, you do the math.

Thanks for serving! Dan. Retired Navy here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!!! I belong to several forums like this, Dakota USA, one for my sister's Intrepid, Moparchat.....etc. But I really like this one the best. I always felt kinda like an outsider because all my friends always had crotch rockets or street bikes. I really like this one!! No animosity toward each other, no flamers, klr riders are really what I've always felt myself to be.... just out to ride and like it!

This bike can do it all. I used to turn corners by locking the rear brake and kinda drifting around it. It really freaked out the street bike guys. Jump a couple curbs and you get labeled "nuts". I've thought about selling this bike a few times over the last 19 years but for some reason could never bring myself to do it. I originally went in to buy a Ninja 600R but when I saw the KLR it was all over...............

Thank you all for the respect you showed for my service, it means a lot. My best friend and the first guy I rode with on my KLR is still in and as far as I know he's teaching at the 32nd street naval base in San Diego. Joe, you rock buddy!!.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts