Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys seen this sort of thing and do other people make them too??

Sold my GSA and am back on a KLR !!!

I emailed the Ernie guy and he says I have to send mine in for modding and cost 42 bucks.. I am wondering if there are any other options out there...

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
My brother has one and didn't think it made enough of a difference to warrant the cost and hassles to ship back and forth. Actually he summed it up with it being a "waste of money" but your results may vary.

Aren't aware of an alternate manufacturer. Have you tried lubing the cable? Do the new model bikes have adjustable levers?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I caught my Left hand in a big metal gate one time closing it and damaged some nerves, and it likes to cramp sometimes in my old age..LOL.. SO I am looking for some type of easy Pull like I had on my Harley back when...

The newer clutch arm is different from the older ones. The new arm is 107mm long. The older arms are 105 mm.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I extended mine by 3/8" by bolting on a small metal plate(which I made) to the arm.The nice thing with the bolt on plate is it is reversible if you don't like it. It very much reduced the pull at the lever. I will get some dimensions and post them later today.
JJ

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I lied in my previous post. I lengthened mine by 1/2" not 3/8'' as previously stated. I lengthened the clutch arm on both my 2011 and my 2003. The 2011 was welded on and the 2003 is bolted as in the pictures.
This is a fairly simple mod. The added extension is the slightly rusty rectangular plate bolted to the clutch arm. It measures 1'' long, 5/8'' wide and 1/8'' thick. The two holes are 1/2'' between centers and are drilled 1/4'' diameter. The corners are rounded and edges deburred for safety. The bolt through the clutch arm and extension plate is tightened solidly and the bolt through the cable clevis and extension is left a little loose so the clevis can pivot. Use of locknuts is mandatory! You will need to bend the cable mount slightly to align the cable straight to the end of the modified clutch arm.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Many KLR riders 'truly' enjoy the benefit of the "twin headlight Ernie" modified clutch arm! "Looks like the factory made it that long". Shows 'pride in workmanship'.

My friend and sometimes riding partner of KLR650-A1 vin# 000432 (my vin is 000423) is among the converts, just 2 years ago!
I'll suggest that I am just hard-headed and too danged cheap!

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
The extended clutch arm is generally regarded as a worthwhile mod and most people report a noticeable decrease in level effort. Haven't done it myself as years of offroad racing has produced a powerful grip and I haven't seen the need....but I might do it anyhow at some point. Can't say I'd bother with the bolt on solutions; not hard to weld or get it welded.

YMMV

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Have you guys seen this sort of thing and do other people make them too??

Sold my GSA and am back on a KLR !!!

I emailed the Ernie guy and he says I have to send mine in for modding and cost 42 bucks.. I am wondering if there are any other options out there...
Ernie does great work; if the price or shipping time is a problem, anyplace with a welder can easily make the mod though it may not look quite as nice.

Dave

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Nothing against Ernie's aftermarket product! Sending in the "exchange" clutch lever in advance and waiting for the re-work and transportation may be a drag; a prior DEPOSIT (cost of OEM lever), with refund upon receipt of the exchange part, might be more convenient for the customer, but . . . a considerable administrative workload for the vendor.

Otherwise, how ingenious and KLRistaesque THRIFTY the DIY (do it yourself) modifications shown above! :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ernie does great work; if the price or shipping time is a problem, anyplace with a welder can easily make the mod though it may not look quite as nice.

Dave
A good welding shop will grind it down so it looks pretty good. You can then sand it to your desired level of smoothness and paint will do the rest. If the weld really isn’t that good and has some low spots after grinding, a little body filler will take care of that. Just degrease it well and remove all of the slag, apply a little body filler, then sand and paint. With a little care it will look like a factory part.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Yep, I own a metal fab shop and in my previous life I sold paint and body supplies. It's not that hard to make it look decent; my comment was only that Ernie's are all finished very nicely and something you get back from your local welder may not be.

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts