Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm glad i decided to change the filter on the used KLR i picked up. I took of the filter housing to find this nightmare. Can only imagine how good the inside of this engine looks after eating a quarter of this filter

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Google Photos just doesn't work with forums, at least not to embed photos. The reasons are many, but it boils down to whoever designed Google Photos had spent years drinking Sterno squeeze.

You'll need to set up a hosting account at imgur, flickr, smugmug, etc. Someplace where you can get a URL that has a .jpg extension.

I fixed this one by hosting it on flickr.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I didn't know Google photos wasn't a suitable source but had a sneaking suspicion. Thanks for fixing the one link and now I know for next time. That filter is shredded!?!?

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Sometimes I can make GP work, but I have to find a way to eek a URL out of it that has a .jpg extension. Seems to be hit or miss. Mostly miss.

Hopefully, your filter died of old age sitting in the barn without being run that way.

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Yours looks almost as bad as this one.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That's exactly how mine looked when I bought it off eBay. I never knew it was possible and it took a whole day to break the bike all the way down past the subframe to get the airbox out, clean it, and reassemble.
That looks very much like the Backfire Screen was removed and a subsequent backfire dutifully ignited the air filter.
Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,852 Posts
That looks very much like the Backfire Screen was removed and a subsequent backfire dutifully ignited the air filter.
Actually, I don't think that air filter burned Bluehighways. Because the White Plastic Frame has not melted and sagged to the bottom.
I think it may have de-graded because of using a "bio-degradeable" air filter oil, such as the early "No-Toil Oil" and cleaner.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
I learned this the hard way myself.. I had purchased a BMW F650 that wasn't ridden much for a few years and assumed the previous owner had kept up on the maintenance, but he had not.

It wasn't pretty, and took a lot of time to clean out the air box. Bike ran fine though for the most part.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
There is a moral to this filter story.

A buddy took some vacation time and met me in Trinidad, Co as I was doing a thru-ride on the TAT. He rode with me to Green River, UT and headed home. The next year he wanted to finish the TAT so we met in Green River and rode to Port Orford, OR. He was riding on a Gen1 he had just bought and checked over. The air filter was clean, tires were good, chain was replaced ..... .

In Port Orford we did some maintenance before heading down through the Sierras Nevada and into Nevada. His air filter still looked as clean as when we left Green River. When he pulled it out there was a big hole in the back side as shown at the start of this thread.

The moral is "when you buy a used bike, assume that nothing has been done right on it".

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just realized the bike I just got is missing the filter cage. Granted, half of the airbox has been cut away, but I doubt the replacement I picked up includes the cage :(

·
Registered
282 Posts
Show it to your wife and explain that because of that filter, the top end is now shot to hell and she needs to buy you a big bore kit.. Sometimes bad is good.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Actually, I don't think that air filter burned Bluehighways. Because the White Plastic Frame has not melted and sagged to the bottom.
I think it may have de-graded because of using a "bio-degradeable" air filter oil, such as the early "No-Toil Oil" and cleaner.
pd did you just use logic and experience with a touch of common sense?
I'm hate to be the one to tell you this, but you will never make a good salesman! Sorry amigo!

·
Premium Member
6,852 Posts
Morning Squidly,
I took the bait & sold/pushed the No-Toil bio-degradable products the first couple of years. It worked Great on units which were serviced properly & often. ie, Motocross, Competition Enduro, high useage ATV's.

The problems started showing up at about year 2 on seldom used units. The early bio-degradeable No-Toil oil could not hardly be cleaned out of a 1 year old filter & some of the foam filters were falling apart in the air boxes & some fell apart in the detergent. Granted, these were usually OEM filters, not No-Toil Brand replacements.

Kind of soured me on even giving their newer generation No-Toil Oil a try.

Reactions: DPelletier
1 - 20 of 22 Posts