Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if this is the right bike for me... Guys tell me what you think of this bike road and dirt wise and how long your able to ride. And will it hold up another rider ( wife ) but mostly I'll be riding the bike for a to work and play is there a good aftermarket for this bike

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
366 Posts
Use mine daily for commute and have taken some trips with bike fully loaded and wife on the bike. It's a workhorse and the most fun I've had with any bike.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
366 Posts
No, I use a cargo net on the back rack. I have a fender bag strapped to the right rear for my tools but don't like the rear panniers since I split lanes often during heavy traffic. Also came off riding sport bikes so prefer a little sleeker look. When I need to load it up I just use my ALICE pack on the back rack as well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This bike will do everything you asked about quite adequately. If you have concerns, see if you can find someone in your area that will give you a test ride.

I use mine for my daily commute to work and have taken a couple of trips in the 1 - 2 hour range. I need to get off about once an hour to get the blood flowing again but it's doable. I have ridden with my wife several times with no problems even after switching to a 16 tooth front sprocket. There is plenty of power available even while cruising at 65. I still get 50mpg even with all the highway riding I do.

Here is my set up:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a nice set up you got there ... I don't know of any dual sport riders in the area .but yesterday I saw a klr 650 go down the road first gen . He had soft bags an a tank bag.I live near the blue ridge park about a 1hr 30 min ride from the house Iam in south carolina and a hour from chimmey rock nc and 20 mins outside of rockhill sc

·
Registered
182 Posts
My KLR was and is my first bike, I commute 50 miles one way and ride my bike almost daily. I have also taken 3 long trips (500 mile one way) and done it comfortably. The trick is stop before you feel you need to, I stop and walk around at least every 150 miles, last time I rode to southwest Kentucky (658 miles) I checked into my hotel and went for a motorcycle ride. I can't imagine buying a KLR and not being thrilled with it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Motorcycle
Timothys687
More miles and smiles for all!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Don't know if this is the right bike for me... Guys tell me what you think of this bike road and dirt wise and how long your able to ride. And will it hold up another rider ( wife ) but mostly I'll be riding the bike for a to work and play is there a good aftermarket for this bike

Welcome to the forum!

Do you have any motorcycle experience? A good place to start is the MSF Basic Rider class. Also I always recommend David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well

My advice is don't ride without gear ever. Helmet, gloves, jacket is minimum IMHO. Buy decent quality first and you won't be upgrading anytime soon. Figure at least $500.

The KLR is a good bike. It's versatile and reliable, people have taken them all over the world. More important than what bike you choose is you, get trained/educated and wear safety gear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the klr 650 have many aftermarket parts so like this bike can handle anything you throw at it

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yes it has many aftermarket parts that you can "farkle" it with. It will never be a race bike no matter what you add onto it but it is very customizable to whatever your preference is. If you are looking at a brand new one or even used, I would recommend riding it for awhile and seeing what add ons would benefit you the most as it is different for everyone. That way you are not going out and just buying everything under the sun and the. Finding you don't like some of them. I have had mine for 6 months and am just now starting to mod and tweak to my idea of perfection for me. Most important accessory is correct gear though.

·
Administrator
8,254 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Klr650

KLR 650 is a great bike. Like all bikes it has positives and negatives. Depending on your height, it may or may not be a good first bike for you. If you have not ridden before, I would suggest you slow down, take the MSF rider course, and go from there. Getting a smaller 250 cc bike for a starter may be something to consider, and then move on from there once you have a comfort level. If you are ok skill wise, and the bike fits you, a KLR is a great choice. It is at home on twisty two lane roads, loves the BRP, and does fine on gravel back roads as well. With the right farkles, it can be a great touring bike. It is less in its element on the freeway, especially in the hands of a less experienced rider. Spend some time reading this forum, and others, and you will get a lot of perspective. My KLR is an '09 with about 19K on it. It has been all over the place including the BRP, Skyline, Dragon, TAT, etc. I regularly commute on it with an 80 mile round trip. With some careful scrounging and shopping I have added several farkles on it that have improved handling, comfort, functionality, and stability, without breaking the bank. For sources and ideas for mods, I would suggest you watch the forums, Craigs, and eBay. SW-Motech is also a good source of accessories.

Ride safe...
Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ive had a dirt bike in the past a Kdx 250 I road it the woods i think I'll be able to handle the klr 650 at least I hope so

·
Lifetime Member
2,481 Posts
Ive had a dirt bike in the past a Kdx 250 I road it the woods i think I'll be able to handle the klr 650 at least I hope so

If you rode a KDX 250 before you'll have no problem with a KLR... It's just heavier :)

Kind of the swiss army knife of bikes, it'll do everything in moderation. If you plan on sustained high speed highway travel though, I would consider another bike. The KLR will do highway speeds just fine, but if your pushing over 80 for extended periods she's going to be working pretty hard.

·
Registered
186 Posts
want to ride ???

That's a nice set up you got there ... I don't know of any dual sport riders in the area .but yesterday I saw a klr 650 go down the road first gen . He had soft bags an a tank bag.I live near the blue ridge park about a 1hr 30 min ride from the house Iam in south carolina and a hour from chimmey rock nc and 20 mins outside of rockhill sc

hey want to ride !!???
am just over N.C. border .can be in greenville about 45 min or less... some time when,, ride-n, can go to ga, sc ,and back home in two hrs..

holler if want to burn some rubber off.!.!.!.?????

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ive not bought the klr yet but i want to learn the in and outs of the bike first ... and heck yea i would ride with yeah ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts