Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I thought I would start here as I am looking to add a new '15 or '16 KLR to my garage. I currently have a '85 Kawasaki GPZ 750 Turbo for when I feel the need for speed, and a Honda NT 700 for middleweight touring. I thought a KLR would get me farther out on the back roads out here in the beautiful Colorado back country.
How is the KLR 2 up? My wife is small, around 100 pounds and I am about 175.
Any info would be great!
Thanks

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Both of you combined don't add up to many riding these great bikes so I will say you will be fine. IF you do want to upgrade the rear suspension a bit there is a simple inexpensive heavier spring selection you can buy to add some extra help, but I doubt you will need it for light dual sport riding. Anything more than simple tring or dual tracks and I would say get the 7.4kg spring at roughly $100, do not go out and buy a complete suspension package as it's not needed.....imho.
Welcome to the site and you will learn here all you need to about the KLR.
Great choice by the way!
:character00201:

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you buy a klr, I can't see ya using the nt700 much. I think you will find that the klr can do everything that Honda can, but offer so much more. I had a versys 650 (similar to the nt700) and have way more fun on my Klr. At a combined 275 weight, I gotta think you would be fine. They stiffened the suspension in 2014.5.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Hi all, I thought I would start here as I am looking to add a new '15 or '16 KLR to my garage. I currently have a '85 Kawasaki GPZ 750 Turbo for when I feel the need for speed, and a Honda NT 700 for middleweight touring. I thought a KLR would get me farther out on the back roads out here in the beautiful Colorado back country.
Any info would be great!
Thanks
I don't think I'd be able to tell a 100 pound person was back there.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
You'll find yourself solo on this bike quite often

They are just stoopid fun and if we don't restrain ourselves the ladies
tire of it quickly, plus don't like sliding forward on the seat constantly.

Sure, it does two riders just fine, but ya need to warn mama you're about
to roll a curb or parking block. It's the bike. IT prefers one rider. LOL

Have fun. and get some Stabil for the other two bikes...............literally.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Any info would be great!
Thanks
I am the size of the two of you put together and the bike handles me just fine. Its the main reason I bought it. I wanted something to handle my large frame that wasnt a cruiser.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, just put down payment on an nice new 2015 white and black KLR. I pick it up in a week or so. Cant wait.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Great move!!! Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your adventures.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I pick her up this afternoon! A couple or questions... Extended warranty or are these pretty bullet proof and is that not a real bargain? Doo Hickey this early on?

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
Most folks here would say that extended warranty is a waste of money. I tend to agree and never get extended warranty on anything I buy :).

As far as the doohickey, it's not a panic on the second gen's like it was on the 1st gens. Some do seem to have weak springs, but I'm guessing you wouldn't have to rush to do it.
(Disclaimer, I haven't done mine on my 08 yet, have the parts just haven't done it).

Gas and go, that's what I'd do! Lol!
Congrats on the new wheels, your gonna love it!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Make sure you really go over the bike. Mine was missing two reflectors and the speedo cable was not properly routed through the fender guides. I just saw yesterday that I was missing a fender bolt under the front fender. After a week I had to take it back because it kept leaking antifreeze. Apparently the cap was never installed properly. I've seen some on the showroom floor that had a misaligned rear fender. My stock tire rubs on my chain guard. I left the dealer with 15 lbs of pressure in both tires apparently. I had to adjust the headlight as it was way too high. Some others had their chain slack adjusted way too tight. I also had to adjust my throttle cables as they had a ridiculous amount of slack. As well as adjust my rear brake light switch as it only came on with the pedal completely mashed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great to know, thanks, I will give her a good once over. They have told me it was also jetted for this altitude and I am really going to call them out on that if it is not. I had an outboard that I was told was jetted for altitude and it ran pretty good at 3000 feet, but at the lake I live on was 7000 feet and it ran like crap. when I decided to no longer drag it to lake Powell I went to rejet it for 7000 feet. It had sea level jets in it... I dealt with it running lousy for years blaming it on high elevation, but it was just another boat dealer lie.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If they adjusted the jets then chances are they had to adjust the afr screw. They come from the factory with a plastic plug in them. I guess it's an emissions thing. If you look at the carb from the right side, the afr screw will be on the bottom front side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi - also considering picking up a '15 and have two questions (sorry if this message is duplicate...had issue posting from my phone).

With the 2014.5 New Edition upgrades, what of the common enhancements I read about on this forum are still needed? Doohickey, seat, suspension, etc. I would plan on all guards, but interested to know about key mechanical/comfort upgrades.

What's the real max cruising speed without pushing revs or wobble into an uncomfortable range? I do some long highway miles - can I cruise at 80+?

I'm looking to switch to a klr from a vstrom 1000 for a true dual purpose bike - I want to ride more dirt and don't need the topend speed of a 1000 (and want to get away from the bulk and into the mechanical simplicity of a klr), but still want something I can truly ride in all conditions .

Thanks for the help - amazing forum.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
They have told me it was also jetted for this altitude and I am really going to call them out on that if it is not.
I think stock main jets are now 145; previously: 148.

I'd expect a 145 to perform adequately at Denver-like altitude. Actually, a CV carburetor self-adjusts for altitude to some extent (less dense air at higher elevation creates less venture vacuum, consequently raising the slide and needle less at any given intake air flow, automatically fuel-leaning the mixture at altitude).

My riding partner has crossed many Colorado passes with his '08 KLR650, not a problem with his 65,000-mile sea-level jetted 2008 KLR650; YMMV!

My suggestion: See how it runs, before you call the dealer out on jetting.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Nature, welcome, the KLR is the perfect all around machine, but it has it's limitations and you are asking it to get upto and possibly past the major one, speed! Yes it will run at the 80 plus but not for long imho without it feeling abused so to speak, better to drop to 70ish and tke that extra 10 minutes per hour to get to where you are going, it will thank you in the long run. As for the rest, I still say do the DOO, many say don't bother any more but hey, it's a cheap mechanical advantage when using the torsion spring and huge peaceof mind for not much $$. The rest is a personal feeling, seat will depend on your weight and age I bet, us old larger framed guys,( I told off for calling us fat) will require a more solid seat maybe I do.....also setting up the handle bars, pegs etc all depends upon your size.....the bike is almost perfect out of the box, but ther is alwasy ways to make it better. There are so many after market products to solve every issue you can think of but the speed requirement you have suggested. It's not a V-Strom in relationship to highway speeds. Just allow for the extra 10 minutes per hour and you'll be golden!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I picked up my '15 black and white KLR last night and brought her home. I did have time to give the bike a pretty good overall inspection and all looks pretty good to me having a knowledge of motorcycles in general, first KLR. Dealer says he jetted it correctly for Glenwood springs area and said if I do not like how it runs bring it back and he will make it right. It ran fine on the way home, IN THE COLD RAIN... Bummer. I found it was pretty tall for what I am used to with my GPz and NT but it should work OK without lowering. I put on 39 miles on the ride home doing the break in RPMs and I like the feel of the motor so far, nice low end. Very comfortable riding position. Cold and rain snow mix in the forcast for a few days has me bummed out, and a dirty brand new bike in the garage...
Looking to get a snazzy GPS adventure bike computer and have looked at some on line. Does anyone have any recommendations as to a proven one?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Garmin IMHO, now the choices begin.....the very expensive vesions, Zumo.....are terrific, but seriously pricey imho. I still run with the first edition bike related GPS in the Zumo style, a NUVI 550...it works but has a limited capability......the newer versions will do almost everything but wipe your arse! Plus imho you need a computer degree to fully understand them. BUT WOW!!!!! Do they work well.!
I used to simply use an automotive version and make sure it never got wet, it worked well for a year then the back plug in vibrated loose and it wouldn't work after that. BUT you can get them for pennies compared to the big bike versions, 100% waterproof, routes, tracks everything you could possibly want.....I'm just too cheap to buy one. But if you can afford one, you're a lucky camper. Sorry not to give specifics etc...just saying...:character00201:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Oh, and make sure you run your bike in right......and change your oil at 100 miles as you will see plenty of metal filings from the seating in of all the bits and pieces. Just saying...lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts