Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and am trying to fix up my 1990 KLR650.I live in Canada and am trying to locate a set of crash bars.Can anyone advise me as to where I can purchase a set? I've tried Fortnine and Twisted Throttle but they're out of stock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm new to the forum and am trying to fix up my 1990 KLR650.I live in Canada and am trying to locate a set of crash bars.Can anyone advise me as to where I can purchase a set? I've tried Fortnine and Twisted Throttle but they're out of stock.

Dirtracks out of Vancouver area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
I'd try the dirtracks too. .....OTOH, the best Gen1 crash bars IMO, are an IMS tank and JNS rad guard which offers good rad protection with 12 lbs less weight and the other advanages of the IMS tank. Just another option.

Dave

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I'd try the dirtracks too. .....OTOH, the best Gen1 crash bars IMO, are an IMS tank and JNS rad guard which offers good rad protection with 12 lbs less weight and the other advanages of the IMS tank. Just another option.

Dave
I bought the IMS 10.7 gallon tank to protect the radiator with out crash bars. I discovered that is basically like a large polypropylene milk jug with similar strength. I dropped the bike at low speed on a sandy two track between fields in Saskatchewan and completely crushed the radiator.

I now have a new radiator from Myler's Radiators in Utah and fabricated a cross brace from the frame down tube out to the radiator wings. It seems to be working.

·
Premium Member
6,718 Posts
So you are saying that the 10.7 gallon IMS fuel tank is Not Nearly as stiff of construction on a Gen 2 KLR, as the 6.6 gallon which was/is built for the Gen 1 KLR's. Too large, too flexible with-out being braced?

Is this correct, GoMotor?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
So you are saying that the 10.7 gallon IMS fuel tank is Not Nearly as stiff of construction on a Gen 2 KLR, as the 6.6 gallon which was/is built for the Gen 1 KLR's. Too large, too flexible with-out being braced?
Is this correct, GoMotor?
I have no experience with the 6.6 gallon tank, but the 10.7 tank has long low wings that extend down below the bottom of the radiator and cover it completely. If these wings has any structural strength, they would protect the radiator from crushing even during a hard lay over, but they are very flexible like a gallon plastic milk jug. This is good for the tank because after being crushed it slowly returns to its original shape as good as new just like a squashed milk jug.

I like the big IMS tank a lot for my type of ridding. I can go a long way on 10 gallons of gas and much of the extra gas is carried down low in those low wings helping the balance. After fabricating and installing the brace from the frame down tube I am comfortable ridding places where I know I will drop the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
I bought the IMS 10.7 gallon tank to protect the radiator with out crash bars. I discovered that is basically like a large polypropylene milk jug with similar strength. I dropped the bike at low speed on a sandy two track between fields in Saskatchewan and completely crushed the radiator.

I now have a new radiator from Myler's Radiators in Utah and fabricated a cross race from the frame down tube out to the radiator wings. It seems to be working.
Yes, you've mentioned before and I've taken care to try to avoid recommending the 10gall as rad protection but since the OP has a Gen1, I figured I'd go ahead; I've crashed many times on my Gen1's which I use mostly offroad....in fact my son, Steven, had a fairly high speed get off on a dirt road at the H.U.M.M. event we attended this summer and the tank hit the ground hard and came away without a scratch. I've also had IMS tanks on a couple real offroad bikes with good resultes. I'm convinced that the combo of an IMS 6.6 and a JNS rad guard offers excellent protection on the Gen1.

Cheers,
dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts