Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
I have a camping trip coming up next week, im looking for decent affordable racks that i can put panniers or tie stuff to..

any one bought anythign like that on their bike? let me know what you have ..

my budget is a bit limited so im looking for affordable racks and maybe some IMPROVS to mount cases on them!

let me know what you have! links pix all helps!

thanks

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Cycleracks.

Strong enough to ferry out an elk quarter; lifetime guarantee.

Got 'em on both KLR650 and KLR250.

Also have Cyclerack saddle bags and top case, seamlessly interchangeable between the bikes.

Also have optional auxiliary fuel container (1.25 gallon).

Here's the manufacturer's URL:

https://cycleracks.com/ProductDetail.aspx

If you're seriously interested in the product, I can send you images of some of my own Cyclerack KLR luggage arrangements.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cycleracks.

Strong enough to ferry out an elk quarter; lifetime guarantee.

Got 'em on both KLR650 and KLR250.

Also have Cyclerack saddle bags and top case, seamlessly interchangeable between the bikes.

Also have optional auxiliary fuel container (1.25 gallon).

Here's the manufacturer's URL:

If you're seriously interested in the product, I can send you images of some of my own Cyclerack KLR luggage arrangements.
the link you sent me does not work.. it says NO PRODUCT.

please do send picture.
why do u need more fuel? 6 gallons is plenty! on klr

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Maybe no one has ever run out of gasoline on a KLR650 . . . yet, even 10-gallon aftermarket fuel tanks are available.

For the KLR250 . . . not the case at all. Total capacity: 11 liters, about 3 gallons, according to the factory service manual (sounds a bit optimistic, to me).

I'll try posting the link again; don't know why it won't work--Google "cycleracks," and check out their Kawasaki offerings if this URL fails:

As a last gasp, here's the link to their basic website:

https://cycleracks.com/Home.aspx

If these don't work, I'll sift through my Photobucket album and glean some images for you; just let me know.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i still cant see racks for klr650 on their site :D

can you post the pictures of your bike? what did it cost u ?

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Thanks for the help, frostbitevinnie!

I'll put up the manufacturer's image:

Now, here's some real-life photography; top case and saddle bags filled:

KLR with saddlebags and top case empty and compressed, auxiliary fuel container:

NOTE: The whole saddle bag and top case assembly is easily removable to carry to the tent site or motel, and, as mentioned, seamlessly transferable from Cyclerack to Cyclerack (should you have more than one bike).

Reckon you may have an obsolete browser, xtazx; I can see the images from the links just fine.

Cost? The rack alone's priced on the Cycleracks' website; don't know if the luggage set is available any more or not.

Pretty good stuff, been on multi-day camping trips with full tent, etc.; survived a 60-mph deer strike and consequent slide on pavement; couple of stitches at the shoe shop and my gear's fully serviceable.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i can now see the pictures on the site. maybe it was the browser.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help, frostbitevinnie!
ket.com/albums/x466/NVTrailRider/topcase3.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

fully serviceable.
i dont get how the panniers are mounted? .. they are not supported from the bottom? all the weight of it on the side fairings ?

these are pix from mfr... how are the cases supported from the bottom ?

who makes those cases the plastic ones? just home depot cases and our own mounting provisions?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
I suggest you call Cycleracks with your questions. The Cyclerack itself isn't particularly expensive, as I recall, with high carrying capacity and a rugged design.

The luggage? As perhaps with all serious motorcycle bags, bring money! The Cyclerack of course can be adapted for a wide variety of bags and boxes other than the Cyclerack luggage set, if you don't like the pannier-and-top-case set, and/or don't want to pay that much.

Now for some construction details:

The panniers are supported by steel rods fashioned to hang over the rack tubing in a secure manner, mutually interlocking but easily removable when desired. The inside of the panniers (my fuel-pack capable ones anyway) is supported by metal sheets fitted in internal pockets (IIRC).

The loaded panniers are held down by gravity, prevented from flying outward by a Fastek-fastened nylon strap between the two saddle bags and behind the rear wheel.

In summary, the system WORKS. With several thousand miles over a wide range of terrain and riding conditions, the setup can do, in my experience; YMMV. In addition to the luggage, I strap on tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, etc.

DISCLAIMER: I have no financial interest in Cycleracks whatsoever. That said, I doubt you'll find a stronger or more versatile rack than the Cyclerack; still, your preference and pocketbook alone remain key to your choice of racks.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Pannier racks are very specific. If you want side racks you will only be able to use soft throw over bags. You either have to buy specific pannier racks for specific panniers or make your own like I did.

http://www.klrforum.com/gadgets-gizmos/52378-givi-pannier-mounts.html
Generally . . . yes!

But sometimes . . . no!

Example: The Cycleracks saddlebags are designed to fit the Cyclerack, specifically. However . . . they also fit the Touratech Zega Pro racks on a KTM 690, perhaps other pannier racks as well.

Conversely . . . do NOT try to mount Touratech panniers on a Cyclerack! :)

Here are the saddlebags, right-side up:

View of one bag turned upside down, showing metal rod, cushioned by surgical rubber tubing, fashioned to fit over Cyclerack or whatever rack is used for weight bearing and support:

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think the OP has no interest in throw over bags, unfortunately. So, I'm thinking those metal boxes that some adventure bikes come with these days. For those I believe a little extra support is needed.

Here is the tusk system that is not too expensive
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1033/44605/Tusk-Aluminum-Panniers-with-Pannier-Racks

Happy Trails and Tourtec make good products but are far from cheap. Tusk is about the lowest price out there.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Tusk certainly appears to be in the, "Best Buy" category for metal pannier cases, frostbitevinnie; imagine the Tusk racks can be adapted to plastic boxes as well.

Lots of factors influence the hard or soft luggage decision. The neo-indestructible Cyclerack rack encouraged my selection; the soft luggage, an optional luxury added later.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats some nice work u did on those racks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tusk certainly appears to be in the, "Best Buy" category for metal pannier cases, frostbitevinnie; imagine the Tusk racks can be adapted to plastic boxes as well.

Lots of factors influence the hard or soft luggage decision. The neo-indestructible Cyclerack rack encouraged my selection; the soft luggage, an optional luxury added later.
yea i was looking at those.. im just not ready to spend that much .. dont know.
thing is i have a 1200gs fully equipment with panniers and top case. but KLR is such a capable bike, im not thinking to take klr to my camping rides as well. :D.

maybe ill end up eating the bullet and ordering those tusk setups.. or just get that cyclerack rack and tie stuff down to it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I suggest you call Cycleracks with your questions. The Cyclerack itself isn't particularly expensive, as I recall, with high carrying capacity and a rugged design.

The luggage? As perhaps with all serious motorcycle bags, bring money! The Cyclerack of course can be adapted for a wide variety of bags and boxes other than the Cyclerack luggage set, if you don't like the pannier-and-top-case set, and/or don't want to pay that much.

Now for some construction details:

The panniers are supported by steel rods fashioned to hang over the rack tubing in a secure manner, mutually interlocking but easily removable when desired. The inside of the panniers (my fuel-pack capable ones anyway) is supported by metal sheets fitted in internal pockets (IIRC).

The loaded panniers are held down by gravity, prevented from flying outward by a Fastek-fastened nylon strap between the two saddle bags and behind the rear wheel.

In summary, the system WORKS. With several thousand miles over a wide range of terrain and riding conditions, the setup can do, in my experience; YMMV. In addition to the luggage, I strap on tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, etc.

DISCLAIMER: I have no financial interest in Cycleracks whatsoever. That said, I doubt you'll find a stronger or more versatile rack than the Cyclerack; still, your preference and pocketbook alone remain key to your choice of racks.
hey any chance you can send me pictures of the side panniers on the inside.. how is it hanging etc? or how is it attached to the rail?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Motorcycle mods can be very expensive so if you can't make your own parts or don't want to fork out the cash then I recommend to get out of the motorcycling all together. Harsh maybe but dats a fact jack!

Reactions: xzatx

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Motorcycle mods can be very expensive so if you can't make your own parts or don't want to fork out the cash then I recommend to get out of the motorcycling all together. Harsh maybe but dats a fact jack!
i agree, thats why i do everything myself.

but that build you have requires some serious tools which i dont have :D.
i dont even have a tig welder.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts