Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for the stock lobe lift for the KLR. I cannot find it anywhere. Anybody know? I have a 2006.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Intake: .345" lift, 227 deg. duration @.040" lift

Exhaust: .355" lift, 222 deg. duration @.040" lift

Megacycle lists some interesting cams in their current catalog....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Excellent!!!

ttpete, Thank you for the numbers. This is a big deal for me. I am about to buy some performance cams, and I wanted to know what the delta was.

Are those stock numbers published somewhere?

Hmm, maybe I won't buy them.
Stock: .345 .355 with 268 deg duration
Perf. .350 .350 with 276 deg duration

I think I will keep shopping out cams. think think

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Hey...I bought a set to do just what you are thinking....I still can't see which is better to do...or worth the expence!!

Interesting eh..there isn't much out there that will be better than the stock set up for over all riding.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ttpete, Thank you for the numbers. This is a big deal for me. I am about to buy some performance cams, and I wanted to know what the delta was.

Are those stock numbers published somewhere?

Hmm, maybe I won't buy them.
Stock: .345 .355 with 268 deg duration
Perf. .350 .350 with 276 deg duration

I think I will keep shopping out cams. think think
It's from the Megacycle cam catalog. http://www.megacyclecams.com/ Download their catalog and check it out. They have four different grinds they will hardface on stock cores. I've dealt with these folks for lots of years, and I've always been satisfied.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the link.

The thing is, I was just looking to add a fun project to the bike. The dang thing has more power than I can use now, and the cams would just be that much more of a novelty I guess.
No matter who ya shop with they want 3-400$ for cams. That's a good amount of money for something that you don't need.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
That is why mine are still sitting on the bench waiting for me to decide if it really is worth the $$$ too!
I just checked my valves and had the cams all but out yesterday....it would have been a perfect time to slip in those cams!! lol
There has also been some discussion about how much they would actually give you over a stock set-up. It has been said that unless you use the bike to the upper RPM range you wouldn't get that much benefit from the cams ....another reason why I am on the fence...I'm a 4000-5000 rider.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeh

I have actually ground my own cams in some wild experiments in the past, I even ground a pretty wild profile with my Briggs&Stratton lawn mower. I made some flops, and some cams were just amazing at the results.
If I still had my machining equipment, I know what I want. I would leave the duration alone, and I would leave the lobe center configuration alone and bump up the lift by .020 on all four lobes. This would be about equal to tearing off the head and machining it to accept the bigger valves from Schnitz Racing. The attractiveness of the cams is that it is a bolt in upgrade, very quick to do.

If I can get my hands on a set of good stock cams, I will shave off .020 of the base circle, get cam shims that are .020 thicker than what I have now, and give it a try. I would enjoy that way more then buying someone elses design.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is why mine are still sitting on the bench waiting for me to decide if it really is worth the $$$ too!
I just checked my valves and had the cams all but out yesterday....it would have been a perfect time to slip in those cams!! lol
There has also been some discussion about how much they would actually give you over a stock set-up. It has been said that unless you use the bike to the upper RPM range you wouldn't get that much benefit from the cams ....another reason why I am on the fence...I'm a 4000-5000 rider.
Modern cam profiles have minimized the downside of performance cams. They don't need as long a duration because they've found a way to get the valve open quickly with good lift without losing control of it and getting valve float. And they have a decent powerband. I like to run Megacycle 1060 grinds in the Triumph twins I build. They pull like a freight train in the midrange, but still idle smooth at 1000 rpm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts