Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a new 2009 KLR three days ago...what a fun bike! I have a 2002 Concours I've traveled extensively with, but I felt the KLR would be better suited for a three month trip I'm planning through the West and up to Alaska. I would like to solicit recommendations for hard side cases, taller windshield (I'm 6"2" tall), center stand, tools etc. I've been looking at some offerings from Twisted Throttle, but I'm open to all suggestions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've bought various items from Twisted Throttle in the past and can vouch for the SW MoTech products. I have their center stand and removable rear luggage plate (Alu rack) on my Honda 919 and had a set of engine guards on my former DL1000. It was extra nice when I installed them and found they fit perfectly. The guards were in two pieces, left & right, with a connecting collar in front where two tubes met end to end. They came together absolutely straight on. I'm happy to say they never got tested. But, according to others on the V-Strom list, they did the job. Going to AK on a KLR? A set of good engine guards would be cheap insurance. :character00268:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An engine guard, along with crashbars and a center stand are definitely on my short list. I met the Twisted Throttle group at the Wash. D.C. motorcycle show a while ago and they seem like they have their act together. I was thinking about riding up to their place in R.I. and have them slap on the goodies. This is the first time I'll be riding on a bike with a chain, sprocket and tubeless tires (I have a 2002 Concours), so there will certainly be a bit of a learning curve here for me before I take off.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Im 6/4 i went with CE Bailey for the tall windsheald they seem to have the most options.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
What BigIron says.

- for peace of mind change the Doohickey to a Eagle product.
- change oil and filter often in the early miles.
- new tires and tubes.
- keep the stock tubes as spares.
- rear rack.
- handlebar bag
- ???

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. Footpegs on my Concours made all the difference in the world on those 600 mile days, and I'll be putting them on this one too. I'll check out the Cee Baileys windshields too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had my 09' KLR for 12 days now. It has just over 300 miles (thanks to lots of rain hindering ride time). Since day 1, it's had the oil changed once, a Scottoiler, SW-Motech engine guards and a Thermo-Bob thermostat upgrade installed. None were particularly hard. Just fiddly and a chance to look over the new bike closely. I found evidence that some wiring had been altered {routing} and that afternoon got the muffler bolt and harness chafing recall notice. A call to Kawasaki verified the fix had been done prior to sale. Whew! What's next? A SW-Motech centerstand is on backorder from Twisted Throttle and an Eagle Mike doo & torsion spring are on the shelf awaiting installation. My recreational allowance is gone now. So, a set of good hard bags will have to wait.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: So far I've picked up the Cee Bailey tall windshield, the Twisted Throttle center stand and their crash bars; the last item has paid for itself already after my 19 year old son put it down on a gravel road. The only damage was a bent highway peg. I was able to remove the peg, bend the mounting flange back out, then reinstall the highway peg. Pelican 1550's are on their way, which I'll mount on the Twisted Throttle rack. Hopefully this will keep me happy for quite some time. Thanks to all for their suggestions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No body mentioned progressive frt springs! That may have been my fav upgrade! OK a frt fork brace too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nobody mentioned frt progressive springs and a fork brace! My personal faves!

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
No body mentioned progressive frt springs! That may have been my fav upgrade! OK a frt fork brace too.
Now install MotoWizard http://www.motowizard.com/ Preload adjusters and you will have a KLR that feels the road. If you are going to buy them you can get them from the webpage. They are good folks.

The preload adjuster made a big difference in the handling of my ill handling '05 KLR. I also have the other items you mentioned.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Subframe bolt upgrade too. They are cheap. The amount of wait your loading as well as the Tall Dude riding it can cause the bolts to shear off. Being a Tall Dude too, I would say the pegs and a Corbin seat make a world of diiference too. They also make lowering pegs, dropping the foot peg down an inch or so, relieves knee pressure. I think I got em from Eagle Mike. For that matter just have him send everything he makes.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Subframe bolt upgrade too. They are cheap. The amount of wait your loading as well as the Tall Dude riding it can cause the bolts to shear off. Being a Tall Dude too, I would say the pegs and a Corbin seat make a world of diiference too. They also make lowering pegs, dropping the foot peg down an inch or so, relieves knee pressure. I think I got em from Eagle Mike. For that matter just have him send everything he makes.
The Foot Peg Lowering Brackets are available from Kevin but I will have to research what forum he is on. These brackets are made very well and position your feet to a very comfortable position. If you ride off road you need to consider ground clearance. If you have a centerstand don't worry about the clearance though consider you will have a longer peg bolt. I have both and love them for personal comfort reasons.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Foot Peg Lowering Brackets are available from Kevin but I will have to research what forum he is on. These brackets are made very well and position your feet to a very comfortable position. If you ride off road you need to consider ground clearance. If you have a centerstand don't worry about the clearance though consider you will have a longer peg bolt. I have both and love them for personal comfort reasons.
I have RL1 Raising links by Mike, so clearance hasn't been an issue. Although I am not going over any logs now that I am in the desert.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
kpac, did you take the AK trip? Tell us what you did for your KLR?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tomatocity,

Haven't gotten around to my Alaska/West U.S trip yet; I have postponed retirement for one year. The KLR is now set up with SW Motech crash bars, center stand, Cee Bailey tall windshield, Deka sealed battery, SW motech rack and Pelican 1550 side cases. The last project will be to wire in heated grips, radar detector and GPS.

I took several trips this past summer; West Virginia, then an extended trip up to Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. The KLR has performed flawlessly and I'm looking forward to epic trip; either summer 2010 or 2011.

Here in Maryland, the snow has started to fly, so I've slapped the Battery Tender on and will probably shut down until March or so.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts