Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I need some help, I noticed my front end was rattling the other day. After I got home I noticed the main nut on the frame/fork assembly was almost falling off the bolt. The only thing keeping it from actually coming off was the handle bars :confused:

I promptly tightened the bolt as tight as I could. My problem is:

After tightening the bolt, just rolling the bike down my driveway and pumping the front brake there is some SLOP in that assembly (about 1-2mm). This does not feel safe! Heres a pic of the area...

Any help would be gratly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
I won't be much help on the slop issues, but...

I found mine loose while offroading one day. I kept hearing this high pitched rattle and could not locate the source for quite a while. Started driving me crazy, but then I finally saw the nut spin a little and figured out it was the washer shaking that was causing the rattle. It was the same as yours, the bar was keeping the nut from coming off. I didn't have the tools with me to correct the issue at the time and just kept hand tightening every time it got looser until I got home where I wrenched it. I did not have any slop issues afterwards though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
507 Posts
This same thing happened to me. Answer: new bearings top & bottom and loc tight the nut.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This same thing happened to me. Answer: new bearings top & bottom and loc tight the nut.
how much did you get the bearings for? Did you do the work? btw, we have the same color bike :18:

·
Registered
507 Posts
They were about $55 I think from bike bandit but I found them at a better price at; babbittsonline.com

I did the deed myself with my clymer close at hand. Be careful and all will work out well. Interesting that all of a sudden a bunch of people are posting this same problem?

I have had 10 motor cycles and three of which were open class MX bikes in the seventies, never had this happen! I put 170,000 miles on four road bikes and never had this happen!

I posted before about my misgivings with having to keep such a constant watch on the valve clearance on my KLR, I put 67,000 on a 1978 GS 750 Suzuki and never had to shim the valves. What's up with that? Just Lucky?

Planned obsolesce? I don't know. Maybe the shops just don't believe in using loc tight? I don't mind wrenching my rides but what the hell, I don't plan on the triple tree falling off a bike with 11K on it either! Mostly road miles too,not a lot of pounding.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Perfect, worked great!

On a side note, I had to fully turn the bearing at least 5 times before it was snug?! what a dealership...Some "Full Inspection" Ha!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts