Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put on some heated grips the other day and was finally able to try them out on a long ride, The grip on the left side is holding fine, but the one on the throttle is coming loose, should I put more grip glue on the heating element to keep the grip on or what?
Thanks for all your help

Q

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sounds like you'll have to do something about it.
If the grip glue failed try some J B Weld it holds up well under heat.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If they are the Hot Grips then epoxy is the glue of choice. On my FJR I did resort to JB weld after the recomended stuff didn't work. The only problem with the JB is make sure you have it where you want it before it sets up. Leave some room for a throttle lock in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
The majority of suppliers and manufacturers do indeed specify JB Weld for use with heated grips.

From Aerostitch / Rider Wearhouse:

Because most adhesives soften when heated, Hot Grips recommends mounting grips with a two part slow-cure (8+hours) epoxy like JB Weld, Duro, Devcon, etc. Fast setting (5 minute) epoxies are not always reliable above 200°F. Slow curing epoxies like this one are stable to over 250°F. Easy to use. 1.25oz.

And from the Hot Grips site:

Epoxy: You must use a slow-cure type 2-part epoxy because the grips get hot, and excessive heat can break down the lower temperature quick-epoxy. J.B. Weld epoxy is fine, or Poxy-Weld Industrial Strength. Both are often found at auto parts stores, or at your local Wal-Mart store. At Wal-Mart it is in the aisle where they keep the automobile oil additives. If other brands are available to you, avoid any that discuss 5 minute cure on the packaging. Look for 250 degrees F. service duty.

More information can be found here: Brands may very, but the basic trouble shooting guidlines can be applied:

http://www.hotgrips.com/troubleshooting.php

Finding a grip in your hand minus the handlebar is not good. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Grips have different ID sizes. The throttle grip has a larger inside diameter than the clutch grip.

I was rudely reminded of this last time I changed the clutch grip.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
I didn't use any glue on my grips and they are tight.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It's possible it's not the grip slipping on the heat strip but the heat strip slipping on the throttle. Be carefull about applying anything to permanent between the strip and throttle cone. Maybe rubber adhesive glue?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts