Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding 2 up on some very steep, rutted, gravel hills. I just had to creep down them. I guess I heated my rear brakes up way to hot and the pedal "went to the floor". That was fun!!! I was trying to use a bunch of front brake and alternate them, but I had to "ride" both brakes most of the time. It was way to steep and rocky to leave the clutch out and the speed was a creep, so there wasn't any air flow either. Was getting dark and couldn't stop and let them cool down. Kind of in way over our heads. LOL! Any suggestions other than ride 1 up or take breaks to let it cool down? We're about 360 pounds total loaded.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Sounds like "Fluid Fade". Water in the brake fluid. Brake fluid is hydroscopic which means it has an affinity to water and absorbs water from the air. When brake fluid absorbs water it’s boiling point drops. Fluid fade is caused by the boiling of the hydraulic fluid in the brake system usually in the calipers and even in the lines under hard use. This boiling fluid allows bubbles to form in the brake’s hydraulic system. Since air bubbles are compressible, the end result is a long and mushy brake lever / pedal. In extreme conditions the lever will go all the way to the bottom without any slowing of the bike...Sound familiar?

Brake fluid can absorb atmospheric water just by sitting in the brake system of your bike. A container of brake fluid sitting open can literally go bad from water absorption in an hour on a hot humid day. This form of brake loss can be avoided by running a higher grade racing type brake fluid and most importantly frequent changes of brake fluid.

You might consider a going to a DOT 5.1 brake fluid. It has a higher boiling point. It costs a few dollars more, but I think that would have been a non-issue earlier when you were ripping that seat cover off the bike with your sphincter muscles.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll give the brake fluid change a shot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts