Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 KLR650 with stock muffler. I am having a lot of popping on decel and i can't pin down what is causing it. I have removed the AIS and installed Eagle Mikes block off plate. I have replaced the the header gasket. It seems to run good other than the popping and when I say a lot I mean a lot. The carb has been jetted using the KLX jetting by Eagle Mike.The air filter is clean. I did have another issue today. The idle was about 1,100 so I thought I would up the idle to see if it helped the popping. Well, I turned the idle adjustment screw one full turn and it didn't change the idle at all. Well, maybe it changed it a little. I have never turned it one full turn without the idle going way up. Can anyone offer suggestions as where to look? I have gone over everything twice and nothing changes.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mines stock and pops on decel. In the past I've jetted a vtx1300 and still had decel pop. The only way I got rid of it completely was to install a larger factory pro pilot jet. But then it ran rich imo.
I guess what I'm getting at is that most all bikes will have some degree of decel pop unless running rich. I've even had buddies had their bikes tunes on a dyno and still had decel pop. How bad is the pop? Is it only on high rpm decel? When warm? Engine braking downhill? Or every time you release the throttle. Is it so bad it does it between every shift?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am new to KLR's but my experience with other bikes is popping on decel is almost always a exhaust leak.
Also running very rich (to much fuel) can do it.

The popping is unburned fuel getting fresh air and burning on decel.

hope this helps..

Reactions: 650Stew

·
Registered
59 Posts
How far have you backed out the air screw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Exhaust leak was mentioned and it's the easiest thing to check. It's happened to me too. Check the pipe where it connects to the head. I lost the retaining nut and blew the gasket partially out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts