Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2016 KLR and have done KLX kit (142 clip on 2nd , 42 pilot , fuel screw 2.75 turns out), L mod, two bros exhaust etc.
Bike runs great and memorial weekend i took it to for first long ride around 1000 miles to finger lakes from NYC. It pulls well, runs smooth and I love it but i notice after riding for 70-80 miles it sounds so loud and noisy. I also feel loss of power! If take a break for like one hour and ride back again, everything is normal bike is smooth again power is back but again after riding 70-80 miles it does the same thing. I was wondering if any one knows why this could be happening?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It loses power, but still runs at 80 mph? How is this power loss detected?
Without losing power it does 95 mph and does it smooth like butter! may be my klr runs better better than your's hahaha

When I say I detect loss of power I meant when it is running fine it goes to 90 plus so smoothly and when I have this issue, very hardly i can push it to 80...

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Without losing power it does 95 mph and does it smooth like butter! may be my klr runs better better than your's hahaha

When I say I detect loss of power I meant when it is running fine it goes to 90 plus so smoothly and when I have this issue, very hardly i can push it to 80...
lonsomecrow,
Your description does not make much sense to me either!

Can you touch the rear TIP of the rubber chain Slider under the swingarm, when you lightly Push UP on the drive chain?? If Not, Loosen the adjusters until You Can!

YEA, I know that you think this comment is "OFF the WALL"!
Check your chain slack!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have to agree with pdwestman, this sounds like a chain problem.
I also have 40+ year on old Harley's and British bikes. A bad or over tighten chain will shake the hell out of things.
I had 1 on a BSA that would start shaking about 65mph and slow the bike like you had a flat. It was a binding chain.

After you adjust, roll the rear wheel a full turn and check again, if it's not the same you have a bad chain.

JMO..Gordon

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lonsomecrow,
Your description does not make much sense to me either!

Can you touch the rear TIP of the rubber chain Slider under the swingarm, when you lightly Push UP on the drive chain?? If Not, Loosen the adjusters until You Can!

YEA, I know that you think this comment is "OFF the WALL"!
Check your chain slack!!!
Ok I ll check the chain slack but how that would affect the loud and noisy sound?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Is this "loud and noisy" increase in sound from the exhaust, the engine, the tires, the wind ..... ? Any chance it occurs after a turn in the road? At that speed a change in the wind relative to the direction of travel can make a noticeable difference in engine load and wind noise.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
chain

I have to agree with pdwestman, this sounds like a chain problem.
I also have 40+ year on old Harley's and British bikes. A bad or over tighten chain will shake the hell out of things.
I had 1 on a BSA that would start shaking about 65mph and slow the bike like you had a flat. It was a binding chain.

After you adjust, roll the rear wheel a full turn and check again, if it's not the same you have a bad chain.

JMO..Gordon
If you spin the wheel, and there is a tight spot in the chain slack, then it goes loose again, does that indicate a chain issue only? Could there be any other causes for difference in slack when rotating the wheel?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Bad wheel bearings is the only other thing I can think of to cause tight spot in chain, but if that was the case, if they were that bad, you would know it....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is this "loud and noisy" increase in sound from the exhaust, the engine, the tires, the wind ..... ? Any chance it occurs after a turn in the road? At that speed a change in the wind relative to the direction of travel can make a noticeable difference in engine load and wind noise.
I guess its from exhaust the sound is so harsh that it hurts my ears after 30 minutes ride (even though I was wearing in-ear plugs)

But everything seems fine after the bike cools down (like after 1 hr break or so)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bad wheel bearings is the only other thing I can think of to cause tight spot in chain, but if that was the case, if they were that bad, you would know it....
I recently changed from sprocket to 16tooth and re adjust the chain. Seems like it is little tight when i push up the chain it is around 2-5mm short of touching the swingarm rubber

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
I recently changed from sprocket to 16tooth and re adjust the chain. Seems like it is little tight when i push up the chain it is around 2-5mm short of touching the swingarm rubber
I'd score it as rather tight. Have you run out of adjustment?

I think the absolute chain tension measurement comes when the suspension is compressed to maximum chain taughtness, and no chain binding occurs. That's optimum; no suspension deflection will then stress the chain, seems to me.

·
Registered
541 Posts
A loud exhaust is likely due to an open pipe. An open pipe could be the cause of fluctuations or inconsistencies in the power curve or power delivery. The intermittent nature of this condition is weird, but why not focus on a possible defect in that aftermarket pipe as an issue? I'd at least eliminate it as a possibility by slapping the stock pipe back on and trying to recreate the conditions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts