Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have klr650 2003 its running good, but when is 1.5 gal of fuel on tank start to miss fire and shut off, check petcock is fuel coming down, I wait 1 minute, start and run few miles and that happen again ,full it up tank and start running perfectly,somebody have idea what is it....?

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Raul,
When you park the bike at the side of the road on the sidestand, some of the gas on the RH side of the tank FLOWS over the center hump and allows a little bit more to be consumed from the normal On position.

The petcock should have 3 positions, correct? Off / ON / Res Read by the Handle position.

The top 4.5 gallons is accessible with the handle pointing to ON (straight down). Good for about 180 - 270 miles, dependant on current mpg's of your engine. When the bike sputters during the upper mileage, immediately swing the handle forward to the Reserve position to be able to consume the next gallon of gasoline.
When / if you consume all of that fuel before reaching a gas station, LAY the bike down on its LH side to get some more gas over the center hump and into the Reserve fuel inlet filter. It is called the 'Secret Reserve' by most KLR'istas.

I've personally done it 4 times at successive angles on 1 tank of fuel and consumed 5.928 gallons from the oddly shaped 6.1 gallon KLR fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Maybe this thread ought to be moved to the 87-07 section? Or KLR and other bikes section?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Perhaps. As a relative newcomer, I can say that my practice is to scan both the 87-2007, and the 2008+ technical forums, since so much is common between Gen1 and Gen2.

·
Premium Member
2014 KLR650
46 Posts
And I just read the 'New Posts' every day ... but I’m retired ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts