Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
And don’t use gear oil on your chain. These are O-ring chains and don’t need (or benefit from) thick oils or greases, plus they make a big damn mess! Read the thread about maintaining a chain using only WD-40. I don’t go that far, so I use a spray on chain lube specifically for O-ring chains that leaves a dry film and doesn’t attract (much) dirt.
Looking for the thread about chain maintenance. 👍

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
And don’t use gear oil on your chain.
I'll ask you to Read your owners hand book or the entire back panel from most any brand of o-ring chain.
80 or 90 gear oil used to be the mostly commonly recommended lubricant for O-Ring drive chains, by the drive chain Manufacturers.
It Would Not damage the rubber o-rings, like some brands of o-ring 'approved' chain lube still can!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Paul, you have more time on target with KLRs than I do so I’ll take your word that’s what’s in the owners manual (especially since I didn’t get one with my bike!). But lemme ask ya a question: do you use gear oil on your chain regularly? Hmmm? ;)

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
No I don't.
But I do have a tourist friend/customer from California which 'religiously' does (Wipe with kerosene rag, allow to dry. One & I repeat, One drop of 90 gear oil per o-ring/side plate/roller. Allow to penetrate, wipe off excess.), who gets significantly more mileage from his chain and sprockets sets than I do.

I'm a spray it with WD-40 or Maxima Syn. Chain Guard type at the end of a day, and haul ass tomorrow type of guy.

·
Administrator
8,680 Posts
Orange (usually Dexcool) and green don't mix well and, usually, you can't get all of the green out with a simple flush. I'd be careful on that and do an R&R on components and a heroic flush. I don't mix colors, no matter what. The KLR came with green and I stick with that. I don't mean to be sarcastic, but the stuff is cheap enough that if I don't want the bottle hanging around I can take it to the toxic waste site.

Reactions: Mark Motomoto

·
Registered
461 Posts
To each his own. I just get tired of all those bottles and cans of partially used chemicals of various types, and being a bit frugal, I can’t bring myself to throw them away, so my cabinets get cluttered.

I try to standardize my ammo too.;)

As for not mixing the types of coolant, agreed. However, after doing the 692 kit on my bike, it didn’t look like I had much trapped coolant in the cylinder barrel, and whatever else might pool in the corners of the system should be adequately drained by tilting the bike side to side. Since I had the upper end of the engine apart, it was easy to switch to orange coolant. But if you’re anal about it, pour some water through the system and drain that before refilling with different type of coolant.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'll ask you to Read your owners hand book or the entire back panel from most any brand of o-ring chain.
80 or 90 gear oil used to be the mostly commonly recommended lubricant for O-Ring drive chains, by the drive chain Manufacturers.
It Would Not damage the rubber o-rings, like some brands of o-ring 'approved' chain lube still can!!
But...take it from me, gear oil doesn't taste as good as it smells....
Seriously, I clean my "o" and "x" ring chains with WD...and off I go.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts